UK edition of PC Gamer

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Tomate

Re: UK edition of PC Gamer

Post by Tomate »

encrypted12345 wrote:
Palodin wrote:
metalangel wrote:Interesting. Notable PC Gamer alumnus John Walker absolutely hated KS when he played it on RockPaperShotgun.
RPS is weird around VNs, at best. They sang the praises oh "Don't take it personally, babe" which I found to be pretty mediocre (Pisspoor art, very forced message at the end). Great site otherwise but they should probably stay away from this genre.
Christine Love, huh? I guess that she's a decent and somewhat unorthodox VN creator, but I can't actually call her her good. Digital and Analogue were decent, but I don't know why some people praise them over this. Can't they appreciate something beautifully mundane and with a slice-of-life writing style?
She? I thought it was a guy in drag, and i not trolling.

Slice of Life its not for everybody, maybe the people who praise Digital/Analogue over KAtawa Shoujo are just not that interested on the triasl and tribulations of everyday life, taste is taste.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Tomate wrote:She? I thought it was a guy in drag, and i not trolling.
Yeah, I can see why you would think that. :lol:
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

encrypted12345 wrote:
themocaw wrote:Digital was okay, but I played through it once, deleted it, and had no desire to replay it.

Haven't played Analog, but I hear it's more of the same re: what annoyed me about Digital: namely, the interface.
Yeah, basically. I guess that the purpose of the interface was that you would get more invested in the game than you would normally, but that's just so manipulative. It's a bit of a dirty trick, and speaking as a bookworm, I don't think that that type of thing should be praised.
It wasn't so much that. It was that the game's interface was set up to make experiencing the story as difficult as possible. For instance: Every time I dialed into a BBS, I had to sit through the annoying modem sounds. Dialing into the long range BBS's required me to use the phone company relay every time, which meant I always had to type in the phone number and call number by hand. At points I had no idea what to do next so I just IM'd everyone and connected to every BBS I could think of. Finally, because I never got to see the outgoing end of any conversations, I had no real feeling that I should be in love with the love interest at all: hence, the ending was just sort of, "well, that sucks to be them, I guess."

It's not to say Digital was a bad game: I enjoyed my playthrough of it, and there were a few moments that were really well done, Like suddenly realizing that *Reaper is chasing you across the BBS, or seeing your name appear in the Core Dump and realizing just who that girl you were talking to really was, or even realizing, in the end that the whole thing was a historical in-joke around the Morris Worm Incident. In a way, it reminds me of the old Bungie game Oni: A good to decent game with some crippling problems in the way that it interacts with the player.