Katawa Shoujo no more, thanks to SCIENCE!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Bigbishounen

Re: Katawa Shoujo no more, thanks to SCIENCE!

Post by Bigbishounen »

Brisingr wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
newnar wrote:
First thing I thought of was MetalGreymon.
I thought I could handle any type of crude humor. I've a freakin 4channer!! But dude...

You just obliterated my childhood. :cry:
...Is what I would have said if I wasn't laughing so hard!

You know what really sucks?

I have no idea what you are talking about...
(Metalgreymon? What's that? A Jamaican Android?)
Hisao: You want to know who I am? I'm the boy with the broken heart.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Bigbishounen wrote:
It's from Digimon: Digital Monsters!!! THE BEST CHILDREN'S SHOW EVER!!! /completely and utterly biased.
Bigbishounen

Post by Bigbishounen »

encrypted12345 wrote:
Bigbishounen wrote:
It's from Digimon: Digital Monsters!!! THE BEST CHILDREN'S SHOW EVER!!! /completely and utterly biased.
Ahh. One of those annoying marketing shows disguised as a kid's show designed solely to empty parents' pockets. (Like pokemon, and those stupid card games) Yeah, I'm gonna have to call you on the whole "best children's show ever" thing. I'm pretty sure that Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers neighborhood, Electric Company, Barney, and about half the PBS lineup would pretty easily beat out Digimon without breaking a sweat for the "best" title.

(Of course, keep in mind I'm 40 and have 3 kids of my own. So I have a somewhat different perspective.)

Actually, as an "old skool" Anime fan, I have to say that MOST of the Anime "kids shows" we get here in the States are pretty much dreck. It's either just a big marketing swindle, or nonstop pointless violence with no plot (I'm looking at you, Dragonball Z!) Almost NONE of them have any real value as far as actually teaching kids worthwhile life lessons or even the basics like math and reading.

Now admittedly, a kids program designed in Japan to help kids learn to read Hiragana would be pretty pointless to show in America. Still, something that taught general life lessons and was more positive in tone would be nice. My eldest daughter really enjoyed "A Little Snow Fairy Sugar", which is cute and teaches some life lessons, but its a single season show. One story arc and done. Something more episodic and situational would be appropriate, but I've yet to find anything. I suppose I'm doomed to failure on that count. Anything good enough to class up with Sesame Street and the other PBS fare would suffer from an unbridgeable culture gap and be pointless to show my kids as they would either be confused or bored with it. I guess I'm stuck with just skimming the light cream from the top of the kid's anime pile and letting them enjoy that.
newnar

Post by newnar »

Bigbishounen wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
Bigbishounen wrote:
Ahh. One of those annoying marketing shows disguised as a kid's show designed solely to empty parents' pockets. (Like pokemon, and those stupid card games) Yeah, I'm gonna have to call you on the whole "best children's show ever" thing. I'm pretty sure that Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers neighborhood, Electric Company, Barney, and about half the PBS lineup would pretty easily beat out Digimon without breaking a sweat for the "best" title.

(Of course, keep in mind I'm 40 and have 3 kids of my own. So I have a somewhat different perspective.)

Actually, as an "old skool" Anime fan, I have to say that MOST of the Anime "kids shows" we get here in the States are pretty much dreck. It's either just a big marketing swindle, or nonstop pointless violence with no plot (I'm looking at you, Dragonball Z!) Almost NONE of them have any real value as far as actually teaching kids worthwhile life lessons or even the basics like math and reading.

Now admittedly, a kids program designed in Japan to help kids learn to read Hiragana would be pretty pointless to show in America. Still, something that taught general life lessons and was more positive in tone would be nice. My eldest daughter really enjoyed "A Little Snow Fairy Sugar", which is cute and teaches some life lessons, but its a single season show. One story arc and done. Something more episodic and situational would be appropriate, but I've yet to find anything. I suppose I'm doomed to failure on that count. Anything good enough to class up with Sesame Street and the other PBS fare would suffer from an unbridgeable culture gap and be pointless to show my kids as they would either be confused or bored with it. I guess I'm stuck with just skimming the light cream from the top of the kid's anime pile and letting them enjoy that.

To people who weren't born Einsteins or Carl Jungs, it's known as "stuff I watched in my childhood".
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Bigbishounen wrote: (Metalgreymon? What's that? A Jamaican Android?)
Epic, sir.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Bigbishounen

Post by Bigbishounen »

newnar wrote:To people who weren't born Einsteins or Carl Jungs, it's known as "stuff I watched in my childhood".

Heh, Are you saying I'm overthinking it? You could be right. lol.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Bigbishounen wrote:Ahh. One of those annoying marketing shows disguised as a kid's show designed solely to empty parents' pockets. (Like pokemon, and those stupid card games) Yeah, I'm gonna have to call you on the whole "best children's show ever" thing. I'm pretty sure that Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers neighborhood, Electric Company, Barney, and about half the PBS lineup would pretty easily beat out Digimon without breaking a sweat for the "best" title.

I only watched Digimon casually when I was a kid, but judging from JesuOtaku's retrospectives, I don't think you're giving the show(s) enough credit. You can find JO's reviews here, if you're overwhelmingly curious.

Regardless, I think my earlier allusion to Fullmetal Alchemist was a little more appropriate.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |