Does RAITA know?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Ozymil

Re: Does RAITA know?

Post by Ozymil »

Caesius wrote:
The Commissar wrote:Likely not. English isn't really a very common language there (well, correct, grammatical, English). Dutch and German I think are actually more common there.
Dutch? You mean that bullcrap language with all the a's and o's and e's and shit? Really?

I honestly can't imagine a Japanese person trying to speak Dutch.
The Dutch actually have a long history with Japan, being one of the very few nations they were willing to trade with before Commodore Perry opened up trade routes in the 1800s. So really, it's not all that unusual in my opinion.

But German... huh... ich bin ein Tokyoer.
Donnes-moi le chocolat, Hisao! Gib mir die Schokolade, Hisao! Dame el chocolate, Hisao! Dammi il cioccolato, Hisao! Ge mig choklad, Hisao! Giv mig chokolade, Hisao! 私にチョコレートを与える, 久夫! Daj mi czekoladę, Hisao! Geef me de chocola, Hisao! (Thanks for the Dutch ver. Leotrak) Bigyan mo ako ng chocolate, Hisao! Geef mij de chocolade, Hisao! Дайте мне шоколад, Хисао! Dá-me o chocolate, Hisao!
Caesius

Re: Does RAITA know?

Post by Caesius »

I meant that it's not really a widespread language compared to English or even German, and that it's difficult enough for speakers of European languages to learn Dutch (speaking it anyway).

For English pronunciation the worst that a Japanese person would have to deal with would be l's and some consonant clusters in words like "strengths." Languages like Dutch and Russian are even worse in that regard with words like "slechtstschrijvend" and "vstryetit'," not to mention the complicated vowel phonology; considering the largest consonant cluster the Japanese usually have to deal with is in "tsu," the idea of a Japanese person trying to speak such languages is hilarious.

Though, Dutch has much better orthographic consistency and a smaller vocabulary than English (like all languages do), so it would at least be easier for them to learn to read, assuming they didn't confuse themselves by trying to pronounce the words in their heads as they did so.