Learning To Fly - A Saki pseudo-route (Completed)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

StealthyWolf

Re: Learning To Fly - A Saki pseudo-route (Completed)

Post by StealthyWolf »

For a short stint towards the end of 2022 and the start of 2023 I wrote in a journal to document my feelings, vent, and process a lot of emotions I was going through in what was probably the lowest point in my life. On December 5th, 2022, towards the end of my entry for the day, I wrote this as a sort of afterthought for the day:

I wanted to do some Katawa talk but a fan-fiction caught my eye so might just read that. It’s a story revolving around a character from some April fools joke way back when. Don’t know the details yet but her name is Saki and she doesn’t have a long life-expectancy so there's that. Be back later!
Started reading a pseudo Route following Saki and its really good so far, I’d love to finish it in one go like a normal route, but its noon and I need sleep, plus its been six hours already and I just got to Act three.

The next day I made notes of wanting to really try my hand at being creative again. I do not think this was a coincidence. Learning To Fly is the story and work that helped me start writing again and for that I'll forever be grateful to this story, and you, EBJ. I honestly don't know where I'd be right now if it wasn't for that. Definitely in a whole different place in my life. And should the day ever come that I take the necessary steps and become a published author I will be able to trace it back to this as one of the biggest reasons I ever got to that point.

One week later I caught up to what was posted at the time, and that's with 4 days of not being able to ready anything mixed in there. This story had me engrossed from the first chapter and never let me go from the beginning to the end. I'll leave comments about larger parts of the story for later, when I do a proper re-read (I'm still gonna give you the extra-long comment that I usually make for stories here after all), so for now I'll focus on the final chapter and how I feel right now. Which is, to say, emotional. It was just a few years ago when I was at a point in my life where I rarely, if ever, cried at a piece of media. Now here I am tearing up over a happy ending. That would've been unimaginable back then. That is to say, this story has had a major impact on me, and now, being here to see its conclusion, it's... well, it's a lot.

I love the way the entire chapter has this bittersweet, and melancholic sort of background vibe to it. Very fitting for a graduation as that's how it was for me. You're happy to be at that end of the journey, where you're past all the hard parts and all the stress is starting to be a fading memory, but then you have to face the coming future that's arriving all too quickly. Mitsuru and Chisato's situation is an immediate and heart-wrenching reminder of that. The future is coming and will be here with us before we know it. Something I'm sure Hisao will be coming back to time and time again from this point on.

On top of that, graduation's a day filled with... ahem... uncertainty. You're saying goodbye to a lot of people. Possibly forever. Sometimes you work it out to meet up again, like with Lilly and Hanako, but with others it's not always so clear. And on top of that, you're leaving a building and location behind that you'll likely never call "home" or your "second home" again. Worse still for Yamaku students who actually live on campus. Its all just so... sad. but in a way that's hard to handle because it's also supposed to be a really happy and hopeful time. Luckily it isn't the only thing weighing in. In the case of this story, there's Saki's answer to Hisao's proposal. The entire sequence and exchanges related to it were super sweet and enjoyable to read. I love the levels of energy it brought back in to this chapter where needed. It was a nice, revitalizing refresher amongst all the bittersweet-ness everywhere else. A reminder that this isn't just an end, it's a beginning too.

And then there's that ending line... so much tied into 10 short words. It sort of encapsulates everything that is both this chapter and the story in general. There's happiness in it, with sadness lingering just behind, a reminder of the inevitable ending that's to come, but also a promise that the present is worth fighting for. And I feel like I could keep going with that. There's just... so much. It's such a beautiful line for this story.

To wrap up this comment, I once again am promising a long comment somewhere down the line to talk in more depth about this story. I really liked it and that comment is long, long overdue. Moreover, Thanks for an amazing journey EBJ. Thanks for talking to me over the past 9 months and sharing your story with me, as well as listening to some of mine. Thanks for the late night talks, and the pictures, and the discussions. Thanks for writing Learning To Fly. Thanks for helping me get my creative spark back. Thanks for being you. And congratulations for reaching this journey's end! I'll definitely be here for the epilogue!

I have no regrets with the time I spent with this story. It'll be a part of me forever.

My Writing:
Uncertainty (A post Emi-Good Ending Story)
My Shorts and One-shots
PastaPete

Post by PastaPete »

As yet another on the long list of people who registered just to comment on this story, I want to congratulate you on finally reaching the end of this journey EBJ, and sincerely thank you for letting all of us follow along with it.

If memory serves I first started following LtF sometime around 2016, when I was looking for fanfics to scratch the lingering itch Katawa Shoujo had given me after finishing it. I don't really know what else to say other than I wish I was eloquent enough to fully convey just how much Saki, your Hisao and the paces you've put then through has impacted me. I don't think any other story I've read or even experienced in any medium has extracted more tears from my eyes, joyful or otherwise. While Saki is obviously the star of the show (as she should be), it takes two to tango, and your take on Hisao is one hell of a dancer, at least metaphorically. Their relationship feels so real, because you've given them both the depth, agency and capacity for growth that actual real people would have. That makes the overarching story and its themes hit even harder. If only I knew just how completely it would end up engrossing me, I'd certainly have reserved more of my brain's very limited space to sear the memory of that first read-through in my mind. It's kind of funny to think about, but I was a senior in high school when I first started reading this, and now when it's reached the ending I'm an adult (physically, at least :lol: ). I've basically lived the part of life that Hisao and Saki will get to spend together in the time this story was written, and am around the age where they'll have to go through with the inevitable end of their relationship. It really puts things into perspective.

While the story alone is already an absolute treat, I believe that one of the things that really elevated this work is the story outside of the story that we've gotten to see unfold over this past decade. Yours, specifically. Piecing together the fragments of your life that you've shared through status updates and chapter prefaces, it's clear you've been through some shit, to put it lightly. Yet despite all of it, you've continued to persevere in both your life and this story. I can see why you relate so strongly with Saki. There's been roadblocks that have stopped you, but no matter what you've ended up plowing forwards through them rather than turning back or remaining stagnant. (Admiral Farragut would be proud ;)) The fact that you've stuck with and finally crossed the finish line with LtF after everything is the ultimate proof. You're an absolute warrior, I hope you know that. IMO the best stories are ones where the author has left a piece of themself in it, and you've very clearly done so with this.

So once again, thank you for everything. I'm really looking forward/dreading the epilogue chapters, whenever they may come.
Gratefully,
PastaPete

Crying_Ghost-200

Post by Crying_Ghost-200 »

As it seems to be tradition, I registered to comment on this thread.

I discovered KS around 2018/2019 from that (in?)famous artwork of Emi on physical therapy. For some reason, there was a sort of running gag on anime games in some Facebook groups i was in. So, I gave it a try.
Like many, I wasn't ready for that. The beauty of what was done with this game is beyond anything i could imagine.
I started engaging more with the comunity, and so I landed on the April Fools "routes", and then, in mid-2023, on Learning to Fly. I got to the then last chapter, and have been following it closely since then. NGL, I almost shitted myself when I saw the (Completed) on the title :lol: .

I would give anything to play KS for the first time again, that feeling of wonder and amazement is unreplaceable.
This story made me feel that again. What you've done is absolutely incredible, a truly beautiful piece of Art, worthy of a story as wonderful as Katawa Shoujo (so much so that I sometimes forget it is not on the game :mrgreen: ).
Thanks Euro. Thank you for all this years of commitment and passion. I doubt anyone who was here, waiting for the chapters, looking at every update and enjoying every word and artwork, and everyone who comes by it in the future, will ever forget it. I'll carry this story in my heart, forever. Thank you.

Retornodelogay

Post by Retornodelogay »

What an ending. I can't imagine how hard it must've been to put an end to such an incredible piece of literature, but here we are. I really don't have enough words to praise this fanfic, because I've started selling it to my friends as "KS is a gateway drug to LtF", and it's genuinely one of my favourite pieces of fiction out there. I loved your perspective on death, the empowerment the idea of suicide can bring, the impact of degenerative conditions, the painful tension between uncertainty and certainty that they bring, and above else I've admired your beautiful and sincere portrayal of it all.

Thank you again for writing this. I sincerely hope things look up for you and that this isn't your last work-and if so that you let us now, whether it's KS related or not.

Currently writing Love is a Choice, an Emi/Rin post-Yamaku story (the gay kind of story)

They/Them and Ehlers/Danlos

thebloodredhunter

Post by thebloodredhunter »

this was a amazing story and really hit me i wont ever forget this and if you ever decide to something again ill definetely be there i truly wish you the very best

Wetworth

Post by Wetworth »

WHOOOO EVERYBODY GET IN HERE

I know there is so much joy and pride in these forums right now!

But... I'm gonna start from the beginning, so it'll be a few days before I can actually read it lol

CONGRATULATIONS 🥳🎊🎉

scott1and

Post by scott1and »

Spare for a few comment before you finished, I hadn't checked in on this forum in years. Literal years. But I always wanted to jump into this story and I'm truly glad that I did. It got me hyped waiting for the final chapter and it was amazing. I hope you're taking care of yourself!

Thank you for all the words you poured out of your brain!

Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

I don't post here often anymore, but I just had to offer my heartfelt congratulations, EBJ! It's wild to think that both KS's release and the start of this fanfic were over ten years ago, but holy hell, you actually completed it. I know you went through a lot over that decade, especially recently, and I hope things look up for you from here on out.

The ending is about as bittersweet as expected, which is perfect considering the story's themes. I feel like you left it off at the right place.

"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
SilentM

Post by SilentM »

Longtime lurker, I guess I'll also join in making an account to congratulate you.

About two years ago I went through some awful stuff that wrecked my mental health. I replayed KS for the first time since it came out, and then I started binging literally every fanfic.

These stories have helped put a smile on my face when I needed one most. Thank you.

N1cHoNo

Post by N1cHoNo »

I was very happy and sad when I read this work, I'm not afraid of this word, one of the greatest I've ever read. I used to develop games on RenPy, even my diploma project was about VN. Maybe someday I'll finish it, because the story there is certainly not a competitor to this one, but it should also touch the soul. I am incredibly happy when I read this. but my loneliness burns me out from the inside, thank you for letting me feel alive .... I haven't completed CatsPaw, or whatever this mod is called, but I'm sure this story should be in a separate version of the game. Katawa Shoujo - Learning to Fly, I think it should be like this. I don't know if I have the courage to do it, but I would really like to immortalize it in the game, or release it in print in my native language. Just in case, I'll attach my card, this account will be only for the Saki Enomoto Route, I swear on my honor not to spend this money on anything else, though there will still be a few problems to contact the original KS developers. But I'll try to get their approval, maybe something will come of it here, for now I'll just slowly saw this route and adapt it to my language. Thank you for these incredible emotions, it was a good time.

Teuchi_77

Post by Teuchi_77 »

I made an account solely to comment on this because holy shit.

I'm a KS newbie. Finished the base game only early last year. Found out about this fanfic only last week.

I don't think I've read a more emotionally resonant and painful (in a good way) story in my life. Like there's so much to even think about. You took the beautiful setting and stories of the original Katawa Shoujo, a game that was already incredibly well-written, and added to it in a perfect way.

This fic felt so... Complete. Even more so than some of the canon routes. Obviously it was because you had the advantage of being able to write as much as you wanted instead of needing to make game assets for everything, but I loved how you included people barely touched on in the original like Hisao's parents or his friends outside of Iwanako.

Unlike everyone here I was not around since the beginning. I've only been a part of this for a week after it already ended. Hell, I didn't know who Saki was until I found about this fic. And I'm sure people who'd been reading this for years have far more of an attachment than I ever could, but I loved reading this. It hurts, it is the epitome of bittersweet, because as heart-wrenching as the other routes could be, for all of them you could imagine Hisao and the other girl living happily together. Ideally growing old together. Hisao was always the one there who could go at any second.

Yet here, the tables are turned on Hisao. His condition, while definitely putting his life at risk, is not terminal. Saki's is. And I know these two will have the happiest 10 years of their life from now. They'll live their best lives together.

But it's going to end. This isn't a fairy tale where someone comes in with a magic cure or some sort of solution. This relationship won't last. And leaving it open ended really adds to the beauty to it because, we as the audience can draw our own conclusion. We can imagine how it'd end on our own. Maybe through some medical miracle Saki lives longer than she thought. Maybe Hisao does find happiness afterwards. Just imagining everything makes my heart ache.

And EBJ, thank you for writing this, and sticking to it. Throughout all the ups and downs of your life, you continued to take a stab at this, continued to post updates no matter how long it took. You're an inspiration to all of us fledgling writers because we can feel the effort you took to write this story. It feels so genuine and raw. So emotional and poignant.

In my heart of hearts I wish this was adapted into the game as DLC, because Saki deserves it. The way you wrote not just her, but Hisao, Chisato, Noriko, Maeda, the Takamuras, hell even Iwanako, makes me prefer this route to all the others by a landslide. Perhaps it's not fair given the difference in medium, but regardless. I love this world and it's characters. I think this is my gateway into KS fanfic. So yeah, 10000/10, I loved every second of it, even if it made me bawl my eyes out.