Stranded on a deserted island. Who do you want with you?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Who do you want with you if you are stranded on a deserted island?

Akira
14%
Emi
10%
Hanako
19%
Kenji
5%
Lilly
10%
Miki
4%
Misha
4%
Nurse
9%
Mutou
4%
Rin
8%
Shizune
9%
Yuuko
2%
Someone else
2%
No one else
1%

Total votes: 167

AaronIsCrunchy

Re: Stranded on a deserted island. Who do you want with you

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

I'm inclined to agree with bhtooefr here, Akira seems like all round the best option to me. I can cook, which solves her problem, and she seems to have the clearest, most communicative head on her shoulders so thinking of some kind of escape plan or rescue plan would be easier. She's also (generally) fairly cheery and gets all my aaaaaw yis, so she gets my vote.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Eh, she can get fairly depressive, but she's also pragmatic and functional while in a depressive streak.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Potato

Post by Potato »

Akira, Lilly, or Shizune. Because they have rich families and rich families means rescue.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

I would go for Shizune.
In that sort of situation it is best to have somebody reliable and strong willed. Shizune is perfect for this. Shizune wouldn't panic in such a bizarre situation and she would know how to deal with it. Or she would at least be able to survive on the island for a very long time. Not to mention her rich family are sure to find her after a while and she can hold on for much longer than a while. Not to mention she would make sure I would survive at all costs as well. Although her deafness could cause problems in the wild...

I wonder how Emi's disability would hold out in such a situation? It would be really bad if something bad happened to her prosthetic's.
I am really surprised at the lack of votes towards Shizune though. I thought she would have a lot more.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:I would go for Shizune.
In that sort of situation it is best to have somebody reliable and strong willed. Shizune is perfect for this. Shizune wouldn't panic in such a bizarre situation and she would know how to deal with it. Or she would at least be able to survive on the island for a very long time. Not to mention her rich family are sure to find her after a while and she can hold on for much longer than a while. Not to mention she would make sure I would survive at all costs as well. Although her deafness could cause problems in the wild...

I wonder how Emi's disability would hold out in such a situation? It would be really bad if something bad happened to her prosthetic's.
I am really surprised at the lack of votes towards Shizune though. I thought she would have a lot more.

Probably most people would lack the patience to write notes in the sand. Deserted islands have no pen and paper. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Potato wrote: Probably most people would lack the patience to write notes in the sand. Deserted islands have no pen and paper. :lol:
The inside of tree bark and charcoal from your campfire.
Potato

Post by Potato »

metalangel wrote:
Potato wrote: Probably most people would lack the patience to write notes in the sand. Deserted islands have no pen and paper. :lol:
The inside of that stuff stuck to the trees? Yeah, it's kinda...Stuck to the trees. Unless you've conveniently brought along tools to strip the trees...
d2r

Post by d2r »

Akira. She seems like she'd be all right about it, like someone I'd get along with, and like someone most likely to be of assistance in constructing a boat or raft to escape.
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

metalangel wrote:
You could just try learning a bit of sign language as time goes on.
It would be pretty hard to write a lot using tree bark and charcoal. If you're a talkative person who lacks patience than I can see where it would inevitably go wrong. You would have to be very patient or learn to appreciate the silence.
I like the silence though. Small little chit chat every now and than is good enough for me.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:
metalangel wrote:
You could just try learning a bit of sign language as time goes on.
It would be pretty hard to write a lot using tree bark and charcoal. If you're a talkative person who lacks patience than I can see where it would inevitably go wrong. You would have to be very patient or learn to appreciate the silence.
I like the silence though. Small little chit chat every now and than is good enough for me.
Not sure how you'd learn it. She can flail around with her hands for a month and you'd still not know what it meant in the first place without a translator or a cheat sheet.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_met ... ucation%29

It's also possible that you'd end up developing a sort of pidgin sign language.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

She might be able to teach you nouns that are visible on the island by making it obvious what she's signing and then signing it a few times. Would it work like immersion though, and after a while you'd be able to 'speak' it just through being surrounded by it?
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Potato

Post by Potato »

bhtooefr wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_met ... ucation%29

It's also possible that you'd end up developing a sort of pidgin sign language.
"Characteristic features of the direct method are:

teaching concepts and vocabulary through pantomiming, real-life objects and other visual materials
teaching grammar by using an inductive approach (i.e. having learners find out rules through the presentation of adequate linguistic forms in the target language)
centrality of spoken language (including a native-like pronunciation)
focus on question-answer patterns"

I'd imagine any use of objects would be limited by being on a deserted island. And presenting things in the 'target language' is completely useless when the person doesn't know anything of the target language in the first place. :P

At the most, she could sign something then write out the meaning in the dirt.

Or sign "tree" then point to a tree, that kinda thing...But again, that'd be limited by what's on the island. Couldn't teach 'fire' that way. Pantomime's the best bet.

I'd rather just bring Lilly or Emi. They bring all the same benefits. The idea that Shizune wouldn't panic is complete nonsense. Not a person alive wouldn't panic at the beginning. They'd be just as useful afterward as Shizune, moreso without the communication difficulty. Worse case scenario, Emi's prosthetic breaks but I doubt they're especially frail if she's a track star using them.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Wait why does Hanako have so many... oh. Never mind, figured it out.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Potato wrote:
I'd imagine any use of objects would be limited by being on a deserted island. And presenting things in the 'target language' is completely useless when the person doesn't know anything of the target language in the first place. :P

At the most, she could sign something then write out the meaning in the dirt.

Or sign "tree" then point to a tree, that kinda thing...But again, that'd be limited by what's on the island. Couldn't teach 'fire' that way. Pantomime's the best bet.
Do you really have that little imagination? You would learn a basic vocabulary very very quickly, within the first day or two. Shizune wouldn't want to suffer pidgin sign for long so you'd be taught the correct language from a native user of it. Pantomime would become less and less used as it's so damned inefficient for communication. In the classes and events I go to now, we're actually told not to just fingerspell the meaning of what a sign is, but rather to present a scenario to explain its meaning.

When we were taught, we were in immersion after the first class (where interpreters were provided). Six hours of instruction a day doesn't compare to being in a survival situation and using the language 24/7, but you would soon know everything you needed to know for day to day life on your island and from there, you'd learn more to be able to converse when you were resting together. No fire? Fire isn't hard to make, in fact, it's a priority.

Don't reply, you have 1337 posts right now, a rare and precious number.