Gifts for the girls

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Oddball

Gifts for the girls

Post by Oddball »

So, if you had to buy the cast a present, what would you get them? You don't have to limit it to the main girls. If you feel like giving ideas for supporting cast members, that's fine too.

Just no saying a chess board or doll for Hanako or a music box for Lilly. Be original.

Here's a few ideas...

Hanako: Something to brighten up that drab room of hers. Maybe some posters or a bright colorful bedding set.

Rin: A self help book on improving your communication skills, preferably an audio one. (Also see if she has a CD or MP3 player or anything like that. I might have to buy that for her too.)

Shizune: A board game. Probably one of those RISK variations. Maybe the one where you're controlling gods.

Emi: Find out what size clothes she wears and by her a nice blue workout outfit.

Lilly: Some perfume, and see if I can find some kind of gourmet or imported tea gift set.
Not Dead Yet
Megumeru

Re: Gifts for the girls

Post by Megumeru »

Ooohohoho...fancy on the Lilly route eh? Going all pricey and expensive.

She take my money, when I'm in need~! :lol:
Anyway...

Shizune: Axis & Allies board game; that's one thing I'll give her, the other being a telescope.

Rin: A sketch book.

Hanako: Two tickets to the thing she loves--THE TICKETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!! anything is possible when Hisao is using *** spice and not a sweater vest. I'm on life support
But seriously, two tickets--albeit a movie, a cruise ship (or missile), baseball game, etc.

Lilly: Two tickets to the thing she loves--THE TICKETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!! anything is possible when Hisao is using *** spice and not a sweater vest. I'm on life support
Well, more or less a classical music concert.

Emi: Diary but if I have access to a diary-EX (like 'Future Diary'), I'll give her that.

Why these gifts?
I give Shizune a telescope so that maybe one day on a calm and peaceful night, we can go stargazing together. There's an open dandelion field on the mountain behind Yamaku, so that's a good spot.
I give Rin a sketch book so that she--in her own time and leisure--may draw whatever we did together. It would look good on picture, and she has the freedom to draw what she likes.
I give Hanako two tickets to the thing she loves--more or less, a date outside. Be it movie tickets, sports ticket, anything goes.
I also give Lilly two tickets to a classical musical concert. If we're enjoying a date, I'd like a date where she could fully utilize her hearing the most--a classical music concert is the perfect choice for her 'classy' style.
I give Emi a diary because...why the hell not? She looks like the type who would write something in a diary. (honestly, I'm not so sure about her so correct me if I'm wrong)

HOWEVER

Technically, I gave all five of them the same gift. What? How is that possible?
I give them the gift of 'memories'. Out in a cold night together, a telescope by our side as we gaze thousands of stars above? A sketch book filled with sketches made by her own hands (or feet) of the time we spent together? That time we spent together watching that baseball tournament/petting zoo/etc.? That soft, classy melody of the cello, violin, viola, trumpets, and cymbals that put us closer together? The days we spent each day with one another?

Memories. This is my gift to them.
Physical objects may last for awhile, but memories will last for a lifetime.

How's THAT for originality? 8)
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

This is a neat question.

Hanako: I would probably go with clothes of some sort. Like a new jacket or hat. I think Hanako is the type of person who would find a small sense of comfort and protection in wearing such a gift out in public, kind of like a security blanket. She could always feel like a part of me is close to her, even when I'm not around. I also think she's the type of person to care a lot about how other people see her, but too self-conscious to fully trust her own fashion sense, so even though I wouldn't objectively know any more about fashion than her, I think the reassurance that I liked the clothes I picked out for her would reinforce her confidence in her own appearance. An interesting alternative would be a jar of saffron, since she likes to experiment with cooking, and saffron is the most expensive spice (and one that is allegedly very delicious in rice - I've never had it myself).

Lilly: Lilly is too wealthy for a practical gift to really be appreciated (anything she needs, she could buy for herself), so you have to go with something sentimental. I'd try to find something tactile, something that she could run her fingers over and think of me. I'm thinking a small statue or sculpture; even better if I made it myself. Another interesting idea would be a set of magnetic balls, which I think she might find very relaxing to fidget with.

Emi: Emi seems care-free enough that the act and process of giving her a gift would probably be more important than the long-term sentiment or practicality behind the gift itself. She doesn't like to form attachments to temporary things, so I'd probably try to avoid giving her an overly expensive gift or one that she would be expected to attach sentimental value to. Therefore, I'd probably go with chocolates, flowers, and perhaps a stuffed animal (Emi strikes me as a stuffed animal kind of girl, and probably the bigger the better). The objects themselves are fleeting and impractical, but she would enjoy the thought behind them.

Shizune: A difficult one to shop for. On the surface, it seems like Shizune would be the type to appreciate a practical gift, but given the way she hangs on to the stuffed cat Hisao gives her all the way from the festival to her bad ending, I'm guessing she has a more childish side that really finds comfort in the emotional connection with gifted objects. I would probably give Shizune an expensive fountain pen, with a custom engraving. I think that would complement her studious, professional, and authoritative manner, while also being personal enough for her to tacitly treasure it.

Rin: Quite frankly, I don't think Rin is one to appreciate gifts at all. Not physical ones, at least. I would save the money for a gift and use it for something more experiential: an expensive dinner, concert tickets, a weekend trip to an exotic location, a skydiving/para-sailing/etc. rental, something like that. I might also try baking her a complicated and fancy dessert from scratch.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Oh, also, on a less serious note:

Misha: A remote controlled dog shock collar, so I could keep her under control when she gets too loud.

Miki: A nice prosthetic hook.

Yuuko: I'd set both her and Kenji up on blind dates with each other, and watch (via hidden camera) the sparks of passion (or hatred) fly as they reunited.

I'm an Engineer

Post by I'm an Engineer »

Hanako: A new hat. She already understands the importance of hats and more would do her good.

Lilly: Some nice jewellery, probably earrings or a necklace. She wears quite a bit in her casual/fancy clothing.

Shizune: I agree with you guys with the board game idea. Anything that involves a good bit of competition is great for her.

Emi: Training gear. Fancy yet practical shorts and sweatbands for her arms and head.

Rin: A large blank wall. The possibilities are endless.
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Mirrormn wrote:bunch o' brilliance
Wow you're really good at this.

This is a good question, I'm going to think about it.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Shizune is the only one i care about so ....

Shizune is a person who wouldn't care if you buy her anything ... she seems to be loaded ( most likely her dad ) ... and if you give her something she would likely find it boring
So i would make something my self ( a poem , painting , story ect ) and also let her win it in some sorta game that we both make up ( goat her into it by saying something like " guess what i did today " )

i think she would truly love that sorta thing

OR do something that the 3 of us ( Misha as well ) can do together ... and not that pervs ( thats for a different thread )
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

I'd buy a smartphone for Shizune. I think she'd enjoy having the power of the internet in her hand.

Lilly would get a tea set, or maybe some scented candles, to evoke that Healthy adolescent sex drive.

Emi would get a Bugatti Veryon and a life insurance policy, seeing as she likes to be the fastest.

I'd take Hanako on a shopping spree to broaden that alluring style of hers. Maybe get her a box of chocolates too.

Rin's definitely the hardest. Maybe I'd build her a house in the Himalayas, so she could look at the sky as closely and uninterrupted as possible.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

An interesting gift for Lilly - a braille smartphone - just showed up on r/katawashoujo.

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Hanako: expensive headphones

Lilly: rosin, spare keys and strings

>:3
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Silentcook wrote:Hanako: expensive headphones
Ooh, some nice noise-canceling ones would be perfect. Close your eyes and the outside world ceases to exist!

Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

Mirrormn wrote:An interesting gift for Lilly - a braille smartphone - just showed up on r/katawashoujo.
I dont see how a blind person would need a smartphone lol... Arent smart phones all visual?

Id get every character some new clothes, because they must STANK wearing the same clothes so much! :lol:
nemz

Post by nemz »

Rin - A pair of those running shoes that have individual toes so she can protect her feet properly when she's out and about on nature walks or on rainy/snowy days without having to give up all use of them as hands. I'd make sure it's a pair that's fastened with velcro as well so she'd have no trouble putting them on and off on her own.

Shizune - The latest version of Rock Band and all the necessary system/controllers, as a way we could enjoy music together and have some competitive/cooperative fun at the same time, and there's plenty of instruments to go around for Misha to never feel left out. She could probably even use the microphone on her own time to teach herself better control of her vocalizations with instant visual feedback... though I'd leave it to her to think of that on her own.

Hanako - Very simple, elegant diamond earrings... something she can wear with just about anything to remind her how beautiful she really is and a wonderful counterbalance to her dark hair. Of course, if she wants to show them off she's just going to have to stop hiding behind her bangs all the time...

Lilly - Seconding the guy above who mentioned the braille-based smartphone. Good call, dude! Just make sure that thing has a day planner/ calender app to help her stop procrastinating.

Emi - A tattoo on (Hisao's) chest of a pair of small running figures on a heart-shaped track, placed to cover the scar and extend to the left. That's permanent physical evidence of commitment both to her and to personal health.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

Lilly: A talking watch.

Hanako: A glove and scarf set.

Emi: A pedometer

Shizune: A copy of the self help book, 'How to win Friends and Infuence People'.

Rin: Toesocks
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Otakumon wrote: Rin: Toesocks
Oh that is just too cute. :D