A Not Very Serious Hebrew Translation

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: A Not Very Serious Hebrew Translation

Post by Aura »

At this point it's probably best to tell you that Ren'Py can't do languages written from right to left properly (plus the game UI would need a RTL design), so a hebrew translation currently can't become a part of a distribution. Obviously this has no consequence on the translation itself, just that if you want to put it in the game engine, that's not gonna happen.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Hmm...
There is an option that regulates the speed with wich the writing appears, isn't there?
If that is set to instantaneous (or at least very fast, like in the skip function) for the Hebrew version, it wouldn't matter much whether the text starts appearing left or right.
OK, the text would be left oriented, but so is MoG's sig in this Forum.
Displaying Hebrew characters would not be a problem?
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

The technical problems with RTL implementation are a little bit more complicated than that.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Minister of Gloom

Post by Minister of Gloom »

Translation of the 19th scene has been awfully slow. I must get back into the rhythm of this. With the whole trip to America, and the preparation for the new school year(two days...), and the birthdays of two of my best friends, and the fact that I have been starting to take my regular doses of Ritalin again(which make me feel seek, tired, and unmotivated but frankly I can't go to school without), I didn't actually manage to get much translation going at all.
Don't worry, though! I didn't abandon this project. And I don't care if there isn't going to be an official translation. I mean, I never thought there would be one in the first place, so it's not like I am really disappointed or something. I am doing this for fun.
I just hope all the other Israeli guys who wanted to help me didn't forget about the whole thing while I was gone...

Notes for this scene:
1. "Shizune, standing slightly behind Misha, looks aloof, as she couldn't have heard the remark that drew Misha's attention, but Misha is visibly excited". It took me ages to translate this sentence properly. Also, it has the word "Misha" in it far too many times for my liking. But that's just my opinion, and let's admit it, the guys writing this probably know what they are doing far better than I do.
2. It was very difficult to find a good translation for the word "tardy" that would have all the right connotations. I have tried "sluggish".
3. "You are up to some mischief!"="Are you planning something naughty?"
4. "Shizune's diligence and attitude". The word "diligence" was replaced with "personality", because the proper Hebrew translation of "diligent" in this case would be like three words long.
5. There are many words in Hebrew for "looking" and "gazing" and "watching" and "observing". Interestingly enough, I have noticed that most often, when I need to say that Rin is looking/staring/whatever at someone or something, I use the word "Mithbonnenneth", which is(through an intricacy of the Hebrew language which I am absolutely not going to explain to you now) very closely related to the word "T'vunah"(they come from the same "root word", if that tells you anything), which means "wisdom". So it's a kind of looking that implies wisdom.
6. Did you know that there is no Hebrew version of "miss"? As in, an unmarried woman? Like Shizune calls everybody? This makes things awkward at times since the closest thing I have is "Alma", which is more like "maiden", in the "medieval virgin in a tower" sense. So... yeah. It's kind of weird.
7. Again Misha is giving me a hard time with her "difficult" words. Hebrew doesn't have as many! And not always for the proper situation. Once again I had to just give up and use a shitty equivalent.
8. "It sure is very crowded here"="Is it just me or did become really crowded all of a sudden?"
9. "Where do you need to take it?". Rin's answer. "away", has been replaced with "somewhere else".
10. An amusing fact: the Hebrew word for "To do a sports exercise" is extremely similar to the word that means "To ignore".(by which I mean that the first one ends with the sound "mel" and the second one with the sound "lem"). Poor Hebrew speaking Hisao.
11. How do you translate "heart thingy"? I have been breaking my head over this for like ten minuets. Then I just did "That heart problem of yours".
12. At one point, the text box with Hisao's thoughts just says "sigh". Maybe he is mentally sighing or something. Anyway, there is no good way to translate that kind of expression to Hebrew without over elaborating. So now he says to himself "dammit", in a frustrated kind of way.
13. "Will it make you better?" "No, just a little less worse". The words "better" and "worse" have been replaced with "healthier" and "sicker", because other translations of "better" and "worse" would have unwanted connotations.
14. Believe it or not, Hebrew is a very good language for berating(is "berating" the word? The Hebrew-English dictionary tells me it is). Maybe it has something to do with the whole "Jewish mother" thing. One way or the other, when Hisao tells the Nurse that "maybe" he will exercise, the Nurse's answer would make me want to run off into a cave and never come out.
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Minister of Gloom wrote:7. Again Misha is giving me a hard time with her "difficult" words. Hebrew doesn't have as many! And not always for the proper situation. Once again I had to just give up and use a shitty equivalent.
Had the same problem once. I just used another word in the same sentence that could be replaced by a difficult word. It's not really important. Even if you end up using a word a few lines down. What matters is to let the reader notice that Misha sometimes has trouble translating difficult words - could also be foreign loan words if hebrew has those - not which exact word she has problems with.
Minister of Gloom wrote:11. How do you translate "heart thingy"? I have been breaking my head over this for like ten minuets. Then I just did "That heart problem of yours".
Sounds good.

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Minister of Gloom

Had the same problem once. I just used another word in the same sentence that could be replaced by a difficult word. It's not really important. Even if you end up using a word a few lines down. What matters is to let the reader notice that Misha sometimes has trouble translating difficult words - could also be foreign loan words if hebrew has those - not which exact word she has problems with.
Actually I tried that a few times. I have already told you that in one version, I had Shizune insert English words into her speech. Didn't work out quite so well. I am doing my best here, though. Might start using Yiddish. Worst case scenario, at least it'd be really funny :|
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
Minister of Gloom

Scene 20, complete. Missed a lot of puns here that couldn't be properly translated. Most of them, of course, involved the word "hand". Why so many English phrases with "hand" in them? Hands and hands. Like the hut of a hoodoo doctor.
Oh well.
Minister of Gloom

Another scene complete. Not many interesting notes, again. Things are going smoothly and naturally with Emi.
EshuronX

Post by EshuronX »

What you are doing is amazing. 8 years of my schooling was spent learning Hebrew, and I have to say it would be incredible to actually see what it looks like.
Is there any chance that you will make this available somewhere, somehow?
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

As Aura stated above, the engine doesn't support alphabets that are written right to left, so the best possible thing would be a text translation. Not sure if Gloom is still working on this project though. He's quite busy with other stuff as far as I gathered...

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Gamera Ramen

Post by Gamera Ramen »

If he has abandoned this (it's been 18 months since his last post here), it's quite a shame. He's put a lot of time, effort, and sanity into what he's gotten so far.
Also the notes are bloody hilarious. Gangsta Kenji remains my favorite.
Hellcat wrote:Hanako as a guest appearance for Marvel Vs Capcom 4, make it happen.
TheHivemind wrote:(the amount of time I spent reading really shitty fanfiction as a direct result of needing more ways to describe sticking a dick in a butt is, at this point, incalculable).