Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

McBaggin

Re: Ask!

Post by McBaggin »

What would you guys added if you had another year to develop the game?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Swoopie wrote:Aura, are your eyes yellow and brown in real life as well? :roll:
They're not. I'm quite certain weee or whoever first drew natsume did it without having seen a photo of me.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

McBaggin wrote:What would you guys added if you had another year to develop the game?
I don't know. More art at least, there places where we were a bit on the fence whether we needed CGs. I guess refine the script some more, maybe pay more attention to the subplots in a couple of paths. Maybe some bonus material? That's about it.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"

Post by Guest »

Is there a reason the Antique store owner has a sprite when other minor characters, such as Hisao's father, don't?
Terrathel

Post by Terrathel »

okay... My friend played this game and insisted the one character (Rin) was just like me, which incited me to play it.... and yes, she is, or rather she is the way I was before my first rewrite, me being a word artist instead of an image artist, I call it rewrite instead of 'destroying myself.' I could see myself saying almost all things she said, if not always in the same words. She is slightly more flexible than me, but only by a little, if I stretched and practiced I could probably manage most of the same feats, even the over use of peripheral vision... Biggest differences are, I'm male, have both arms, and our art styles are different. I understood pretty much every line she said, and laughed every time she said something because I could see myself saying it. At least the me that I was in high school, sometimes the me that I am now, I decided to teach myself how to talk to people sometime after high school....

Side tracks aside.... Who wrote Rin's personality and script? More specifically who wrote it, and who was their inspiration? I would be fascinated to meet someone whose mind actually works in the same manner mine does
Erthel

Post by Erthel »

Thanks for Katawa Shoujo.

Did you had any parallel KS project at the first months, like some guys wanted more p0rn and went for it, or was it all fitted on the same project and people just dropped off? Of course, seems none had the will and talent to bring out what you did :)
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Guest wrote:Is there a reason the Antique store owner has a sprite when other minor characters, such as Hisao's father, don't?
Scene visualization purposes. The scene he is in works better when he can be shown, while the other similar scenes don't have the same need.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Terrathel wrote:Side tracks aside.... Who wrote Rin's personality and script? More specifically who wrote it, and who was their inspiration? I would be fascinated to meet someone whose mind actually works in the same manner mine does
I did. Rin is not inspired by anyone, real or fictional.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Erthel wrote:Thanks for Katawa Shoujo.

Did you had any parallel KS project at the first months, like some guys wanted more p0rn and went for it, or was it all fitted on the same project and people just dropped off? Of course, seems none had the will and talent to bring out what you did :)
No.
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

I feel it's necessary to thank all of you again for this VN. It was, and continues to be, a truly magical experience each time my thoughts drift back to it. For personal reasons, I'm especially grateful to Aura and everyone else involved with Rin's route.

This was a fun little thread to read while listening to the soundtrack. On to the question!
TheHivemind wrote:To date, Emi's path is the most complete work of long fiction I've ever written. Which is depressing on one hand but also gives me the motivation to write other stuff too, otherwise I'm going to be haunted by that bloody storage shed for the rest of my life.
Are there any specific scenes for the writers, (or artists for that matter), that 'haunt' you for reasons being humorous or otherwise? I realize there's likely to be areas that you wish could have been more refined or coherent to the overall story given more time and I apologize about the broadness of the question.
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

MoogleDee wrote:I feel it's necessary to thank all of you again for this VN. It was, and continues to be, a truly magical experience each time my thoughts drift back to it. For personal reasons, I'm especially grateful to Aura and everyone else involved with Rin's route.

This was a fun little thread to read while listening to the soundtrack. On to the question!
TheHivemind wrote:To date, Emi's path is the most complete work of long fiction I've ever written. Which is depressing on one hand but also gives me the motivation to write other stuff too, otherwise I'm going to be haunted by that bloody storage shed for the rest of my life.
Are there any specific scenes for the writers, (or artists for that matter), that 'haunt' you for reasons being humorous or otherwise? I realize there's likely to be areas that you wish could have been more refined or coherent to the overall story given more time and I apologize about the broadness of the question.
You've already got my answer there--I don't exactly have any regrets about the scene being as odd as it is, but I didn't expect it to be as iconic as seems to have become.

The stock answer is that you're happy with the finished product, but at the same time I'm certain that a lot of it could be polished up and re-written. I couldn't, if pressed, actually come up with anything specific.
wolvenfire86

Post by wolvenfire86 »

Do you have have a copy of the script used for Katatwa Shoujo before it was coded? I want to get involved in VNs, but I have never written one before and need a reference as a guide. Since this VN was absolutely incredible, I would love to see what you (Aura) and the other writers wrote, like what actually popped out of your heads and how you wrote it down on paper before the story hit the Ren'py Engine.
bradpara

Post by bradpara »

Silly question:

Does Jigoro actually know how to use hs sword?
Shizune=Hanako>Lilly>Emi=Rin
Family Game Night A Shizune After Story Fic
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

wolvenfire86 wrote:Do you have have a copy of the script used for Katatwa Shoujo before it was coded? I want to get involved in VNs, but I have never written one before and need a reference as a guide. Since this VN was absolutely incredible, I would love to see what you (Aura) and the other writers wrote, like what actually popped out of your heads and how you wrote it down on paper before the story hit the Ren'py Engine.
I'm not sure what you think the "coding" did to the script? What you can read in the game is exactly how it was originally written. The coding only added the visual and audio cues.

Writing script for a VN like KS is somewhere between writing straight prose and a theatre play script. The visualization cuts the need to describe stuff extensively, so the two things that have most weight are the dialogue and the inner thoughts of the POV character. This is not the only way one can go about writing a VN, however.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

bradpara wrote:Silly question:

Does Jigoro actually know how to use hs sword?
Better not try your luck.