KS on TVTropes

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nekken

Re: KS on TVTropes

Post by Nekken »

yipyapper wrote:
newnar wrote:It's an encyclopedia of cliches and commonly-used production/plot techniques/progression from all sorts of media complete with classifications/examples for each production in its huge database.
Hopefully people understand that, because it is oh so true. Cliches everywhere.
Not necessarily everywhere, though it does happen a lot. A cliche is just a trope that has worn out its welcome.
bradpara

Post by bradpara »

Snow_Storm wrote:Whoever said that Lilly's music box is a Chekhov's Gun was pretty dead on.
That was me.

I also do alot of work on Shizune's entry in the Character sheet. In fact it was I who dubbed her a Lonely Rich Kid whoJust Wants to Have Friends
Shizune=Hanako>Lilly>Emi=Rin
Family Game Night A Shizune After Story Fic
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

newnar wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
yipyapper wrote:Hopefully people understand that, because it is oh so true. Cliches everywhere.
Meh, all tropes are tools. Even cliches. I've seen them done well before.
The way I see it, it represents the absolute border of human literature works. Every possible method and technique of creating fiction is now databased. Why though? And if fiction represents what people see from real life, is that the maximum extent of real life experiences as well?
Not every possible method. There are a nigh limitless amount. As time moves on, we may develop new ways of seeing the world and new tropes to describe those.

As for why someone would database tropes, humans like to classify and label things so we can communicate them. That's the primary reason why words exist.
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

encrypted12345 wrote:
hickwarrior wrote:
UncleJellyfish wrote:What's a trope? o_O
First off, plan a few hoursin advance, like 4 of them. Then, go onto tvtropes.org, look up katawa shoujo or something you like.

In all seriousness, a trope is a commonly used writing technique for just about any story. At least, that's the extend of the definition I got from it.
Yep, that website is an all-consuming black hole, a more addictive and fun version of Wikipedia. It's easy to get lost for hours as the tabs pile up in your browser. I honestly love the place. :mrgreen:

I can't tell you how many times I've done this, it's just so hard not to have fun reading all those tropes! :lol: I can't tell you how many times I will do it again.
Woody Alien

Post by Woody Alien »

bradpara wrote:I also do alot of work on Shizune's entry in the Character sheet. In fact it was I who dubbed her a Lonely Rich Kid whoJust Wants to Have Friends
Can she be considered also an example of Brains and Bondage?
Mirage_GSM wrote:
Snow_Storm wrote:Whoever said that Lilly's music box is a Chekhov's Gun was pretty dead on.
I don't think that's a good example for Chekhov's Gun. It's not like the item becomes any more important in the final scene than when it is first introduced. It's just that its reappearance at that point might be a bit unexpected for some.
So, it's more of a Brick Joke then?
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

It's a better fit, but I'd rather say, it is a piece of Narrative Filigree that makes a second appearance, since it does not influence the plot in the slightest.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.