Can the Sun Shine on Itself? - OC (Asumi) Psuedo Route

WORDS WORDS WORDS

SilentM

Re: Can the Sun Shine on Itself? - OC (Asumi) Psuedo Route

Post by SilentM »

This is delightful so far.

Asumi feeling inadequate thinking she's not disabled enough is a trait I don't think I've seen explored before, and I'm curious to see how that bit of self-esteem develops. Her reaction to Hisao's condition almost sounds like she might have the slightest bit of internalized ableism to work through, perhaps?

MrMoustachioo

Re: Can the Sun Shine on Itself? - OC (Asumi) Psuedo Route

Post by MrMoustachioo »

Chapter 13; The nature of time

“Sooo? You’re finally actually together now?” Natsume says as soon as me and Asumi join the table.

“Uhm, yes,” I respond as we sit down. “You could tell?”

“Aawww yes!” Naomi interrupts any opportunity for Natsume to explain herself as she leans over the table in excitement. “Did you two confess to each other? Did you kiss?”

Me and Asumi exchange a quick glance, she seems as uncomfortable as I am. It’s not like we are trying to keep our new relationship a secret, I just wish Naomi would be a bit quieter.

“I’ll take that as a yes!” Naomi claps her hands. “So cute!”

“Naomi please,” Asumi speaks up. “You don’t have to announce that to the entire cafeteria.”

“Sorry, sorry,” she says now a little bit quieter but still far louder than necessary.

“No need to be embarrassed about it,” Saki says. “Except maybe how long it took.”

“Yes, about that. Asumi and I both had the feeling you were, uh,” I hesitate for a moment, not knowing exactly what word describes the situation best, “pushing us in this direction a bit.”

“Yeah... Sorry if I was a bit too pushy at times,” Saki says with a grin that says she isn’t too sorry.

“But to be honest, it was pretty obvious you two liked each other,” Natsume says. “Obvious to everyone except you two, apparently.”

I see Asumi blush at this, I’m probably doing the same thing though it’s easier for me to hide. I didn’t think it was that obvious at all, not from Asumi’s side at least. I told Saki two weeks ago but before that I don’t think I was exactly announcing I liked Asumi. I hadn’t even figured out my own feelings until recently, did my friends know before I did myself?

“Things worked out great! That’s what really matters right?” Naomi says.

Asumi nods. “Me and Hisao will be fine from now on, right?” She looks me in the eyes, and I nod for confirmation. “You guys can stop playing matchmakers.”

“Good. But we’re going to check in every now and then to make sure.” Saki grins, it looks like she has no trouble to keep teasing the two of us. “You did already kiss, so going good so far.”

Before either of us can begin to think of a rebuttal, a familiar face joins the table.

“Hello ladies,” Haruhiko says as he sits down opposite of me, next to Saki. “Am I interrupting?”

“Hey Haru, we were just admiring the cutest couple in the school.” Saki motions at us two as if it wasn’t obvious who she was talking about.

“Ah, so finally officially together?” We both nod to confirm that this is the real deal and not just Saki teasing us again. “Nice!” he says genuinely excited about this development. “But I actually came here with a question. Do all of you already have plans for the long weekend coming up?”

Oh, that’s right, we have next Monday off. With everything that’s been going on, I almost forgot about it. I figured it was just going to be spend studying for the upcoming exams. Judging the others’ reactions, they also didn’t have any plans made.

“Great!” Haruhiko interprets our silence as being available. “Here’s the plan; my parents are away on a trip and they asked me to take care of the house. You know, water the plants, feed the cat and all that. I thought that would be a perfect opportunity to invite some friends over!”

“And your parents are okay with that?” Natsume asks.

“Well yes, as long as we leave the place in a good condition."Haruhiko pauses for a second, grinning. "With that I mean, leaving no trace of there having been a party.”

“Ah I see. And you thought you would invite four lovely girls to this secret party?” Saki says.

“Yes! And Hisao too, of course.” He nods at me to acknowledge that I am, in fact, not a lovely girl. “I asked the guys, but only Taro could actually make it.” He now whispers conspiratorially, “and I didn’t want to spend the whole weekend with just Taro.”

“Ah, we’re the second choice?” Saki accuses Haruhiko.

“Yeah, exactly!”

“Asshole. I guess I’m going to have to say yes anyways. It’s something to do, I guess.”

“Sounds fun!” Naomi says. “Do you live far away from school?”

“Only like a 45-minute train trip and then it’s walking distance from the station. There’s plenty of room for you all to stay the entire weekend.”

“I’m down then!” Naomi says, which is reiterated by Saki and Natsume, albeit with half the volume.

Admittedly, a weekend trip with this group sounds pretty good. It might get a little bit in the way of studying but if I bring my books on the train and do a little bit extra this week, I should manage. I look at Asumi to check if she is as excited as I am.

She matches my gaze and I excitedly nod at her. I can see her think for a moment, but then she catches up on my attempt at non-verbal communication. “We will join too,” she announces.

“Great! See you on Saturday then, it’s going to be fun.”

I believe that, hanging out with these people is never boring and going on a trip with Asumi along sounds amazing. I doubt we will do much studying at Haruhiko’s place, so I should step up my studying the next few days to make up for it. I already did quite a lot but I’m not confident enough just yet.

History has never been my favorite subject; it would find itself just above English if I were to rank all my classes. ‘History teaches us valuable lessons about the present’, that’s what our teacher always says. But to learn from history, do I really have to memorize the exact date the battle of Shiroyama took place? 24 September 1877, right? Right.

There definitely is a lesson to learn though. The world as you know it will inevitably change. You can either accept it or go down fighting. I had been doing the latter for too long, ever since I opened my eyes in that hospital bed. Fighting against my condition, fighting against losing my old life and fighting against my new life, like a samurai surrounded on all sides.

It is indeed a lesson from history that still applies today, but I’m starting to think the life of a resisting samurai isn’t for me. I’m slowly starting to accept the world as it is, every day more and more.

Historical lessons aside, this doesn’t mean that I’m enjoying cramming so many dates and names into my tiring brain. I close my book with a smack, drawing Asumi’s attention as well as some of the other students that are studying in the library.

“I really need a break,” I say. “Do you maybe want to go for a short walk? I really enjoyed that with Natsume last time.”

She looks out of the library window. “Sorry it’s still way to sunny outside.” She sighs. “I hate the summer.”

“Oh sorry.” I should have checked the weather before suggesting that. It appears that the evening sun is still in full swing. “Maybe something else for a break then?”

“No please, don’t let me get in the way of your plans,” she hastily responds, “Just go without me. Maybe Natsume hasn’t gone for her walk yet, and you can go with her.”

“Asumi. I wanted to take a short break, with you specifically. I’d rather stay inside with you than go outside alone.” I smile at her for reassurance. “Join me for some coffee in the cafeteria?”

“Okay, sure.”

We exit the library and start making our way towards the cafeteria. I wouldn’t count this as exercise but at least I am still moving around a little.

“It’s a little annoying to have to study extra hard now, but I’m still really excited for this weekend. You too?” I ask her.

I was expecting her to join in with my excitement, she certainly looked like she was looking forward to it over lunch. Instead, she sighs. “Hey Hisao, I think I messed up.”

“What do you mean? Do you not want to go?”

“I do! But I said ‘yes’ to go to Haru without thinking. I was supposed to visit my dad over the weekend.”

“Oh,” is all I can respond. “Now what?”

“I don’t know,” she says as we reach the cafeteria.

“Okay, just think about it for a bit.” Asumi sits down on a cafeteria bench while I motion towards the vending machines standing against the wall. “Can I get you anything? It’s on me.”

“Just a juice please,” Asumi says, trying to put up a smile. “Thanks.”

I make my way over to the vending machine and start inserting some coins for my can of coffee. This does feel like a repeat of the festival again; I get excited to spend time with Asumi but suddenly an obligation with her father gets in the way. She even said ‘yes’ this time and then the rug got pulled.

I quickly get myself a can of coffee, knowing the digits by heart already, and insert some coins for Asumi’s drink. She didn’t tell me what kind of juice she wanted. I guess apple juice should be good, I’ve seen her drink that before. Then again, I’ve also seen her drink about every other juice available in the vending machine.

Grabbing the apple juice, I make my way back to her. I’m fine with picking out juice for her, but I don’t think I should decide what to do with the upcoming weekend even if I really wish she would come.

I sit down beside Asumi and her the drink. “You know, it would be great if you could join. But don’t decide because of me, I’ll have fun either way.”

“I really want to come too, it’s just ugh.” She pauses for a moment to take a sip of her apple juice. “I should probably explain my family situation a little, it’s a bit messy. I told you my parents were divorced, right?”

I nod at her. I remember her mentioning it, but then she said it wasn’t that big of a deal and quickly moved on. I can tell from the look in her eyes that she doesn’t like talking about it.

“So, every other week I have to spend the weekend with one of my parents, so I was at my mom’s two weeks ago and this weekend would be at my dad’s.”

I nod again. I was starting to notice the pattern of her being away every other weekend. “Can you maybe go to your dad the next week then?” I say.

“Well, there’s exams for one,” Asumi says, she looks at the cafeteria ceiling instead of me now. “But you don’t really understand. My dad was already annoyed he had to come up here for the festival, instead of me coming to him. So, I promised him I would visit him during the longer weekend.”

“Oh sorry, I didn’t know.”

“Don’t worry. It’s just hard to explain. Like you have no idea how serious my parents take it.” She takes another big sip from her drink. “They really want me to spend the same amount of time with each of them. It was the most important point of the divorce agreement, otherwise it would have gone through court.”

“I’m sorry, Asumi.”

She shakes her head, whirring her white hair around. “Please don’t be. I prefer this situation over them fighting all the time or just ignoring each other. I just wish they would ask me.”

I take Asumi’s hand and give it a quick squeeze. I try to think of something to tell her, but I struggle to put myself in her shoes. I wouldn’t say my parents’ marriage is perfect. I have witnessed them arguing sometimes, but nothing to the extent that they would break up. And if she prefers this, then it must mean the previous situation was quite bad. “I don’t really know what to say.”

“You don’t have to say anything.” Asumi smiles at me. “But thanks for listening to my complaining, I appreciate it.”

I shuffle over towards Asumi to give her a gentle hug. I don’t want to overdo it because we are still in the cafeteria. “I don’t think that was really complaining, but I’m happy to listen.”

“I just don’t like talking about my problems when others have it so much worse. My parents are a bit annoying to deal with but they’re not bad people.”

“It’s fine to talk about it, Asumi. It’s not a competition who has it the worst,” I say as I rub her shoulder for comfort. “What are your parents like?”

“Ugh, they’re like exact opposites. My dad’s a doctor and always this calm and collected well-reasoned man. My mom teaches meditation to stressed-out businessmen and is way more emotional and extremely superstitious. Like a bird could shit in her tea and she would see it as a sign of good fortune.”

I laugh at her absurd example. “Really that bad?”

“That’s not even an exaggeration, that actually happened.” She giggles too, looking a lot happier than she did a minute ago. It infectiously puts a smile on my face too. “Honestly, I have no idea how they even ended up together in the first place.”

I shrug, it wasn’t really a question but even if it was there is no way I have an answer for her. My parents are a little like what she described too; my dad is a bit more rational than my mother but maybe not to the extreme of Asumi’s parents. That doesn’t stop them from having a, as far as I can tell, good marriage.

“I’ll call my dad this evening to see if something is possible,” Asumi says. “I really want to go with you guys.”

“I hope you can make it. Want to go back to studying then? Just in case you can go this weekend.” I get up from the bench and offer my hand to Asumi.

“Small chance.” She takes my hand and I pull her up from the bench. “But I’ll need to study regardless.”

“I know I’m not the best person to be saying this, but.” I smile a big smile at her. “You should try to be a bit more optimistic.”

She sighs. “I know my dad won’t like it; I’m just being realistic.”

“That’s what all the pessimists say.”