Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

TheHivemind
Path Writer

Re: Ask!

Post by TheHivemind »

Valjean Lafitte wrote:I was wondering if we could get an official dev statement on the nature of Emi and Misha's friendship? The subject was broached on page 226 of the thread, and the exchange went something like this:
TheHivemind wrote: Like Aura said, there was originally going to be more hints that Emi and Misha had crossed paths on more than one occasion. It was discarded (or more accurately, never really explored) due to a myriad of reasons, some to do with being a lousy writer, others to do with the fact that Emi's path was scrapped and started from (almost) scratch about four years into development. Other hints of the Emi/Misha connection include some editorial comments from Misha during a lecture on PDA (which, come to think of it, might have also been removed but I don't remember anymore) and the fact that Misha is the one to talk to you if things go poorly (which was not so much a vestige as it was a reference to what could have been, if I'd been a) better at writing b) better at negotiating c) less burned out on the project by the end of the writing process). I think there might be one or two off-handed comments from Emi and Misha in the path that serve as more references to it (and there was something in the dinner scene at one point, but again I can't remember what made it in and what didn't).

Isn't it sad Micchan ;____; etc. etc.
OK, so here TheHivemind says that Emi and Misha having crossed paths before was never really "scrapped", just not explored. That there's still hints of it in the final game would seem to place it on the same "implied canon" level as Kenji x Yuuko...
TheHivemind wrote:
Liminaut wrote:Heh. I thought that comment meant that Emi and Misha had been friends with benefits at one point. I may have been reading a little too much into it :-)
Ha ha ha yes how ridiculous.
<_<
>_>
...but then he jokingly implies that they were meant to be friends with benefits. This supports what I've heard about an earlier version of KS where Emi and Misha would hook up regularly in the art room. I know that we're only supposed to treat what's in the game as canon, but this seems to be a special case in which something is only hinted at, and yet by a dev's admission, not scrapped. So as a result we know that they are (or were) friends, but what's the nature of their friendship?

I'm struggling to imagine how a Emi x Misha "friends with benefits" relationship would fit with Shizune's route even if it had been fleshed out. I could see a curious Emi experimenting with Misha maybe once or twice, but I'd find it harder to feel sad for poor, "lonely" Misha if she was getting pussy every other day from her BFF. And if it's true--just not explored--how would it have fit into Misha's character arc, in which is she seems infatuated with only Shizune?
Aura wrote:Hive never put in the work necessary to figure out the Emi-Misha relationship so it fizzled out without getting anywhere. It's kind of a bummer because the story sure could've used character interplay that didn't involve Hisao. The amount of work would've been quite high though, so it's understandable that it didn't work out.

I don't think the friendship was to have a "friends with benefits" thing, but Emi and Misha, or Emi and Rin, having experimented sexually (once) was a real concept Hive had to underline Emi's liberal and aggressive attitude towards sex. It's one of the more interesting aspects of Emi's character, but Hive didn't quite get the theme and ideas polished to perfection. Emi sex scenes do an acceptable job communicating the theme, but maybe aren't reflected upon sufficiently?
Like I said in my original answer (and like Aura further stated), Emi and Misha were meant to be friends--and to have briefly been more than friends, set around the time after Shizune first rejected Misha's advances (and Emi similarly would've made a pass on a completely oblivious, nonresponsive Rin...or something like that. There's a bit on the fanfic forum that explores the idea a little, but it's unpolished as FUCK, so consider yourself warned), but I fucked it all up--and yes, the two of them having experimented together was a real thing that I (and others) considered having happen, because if anyone was going to wind up experimenting, it was going to be Emi. As Aura said, she's open and pretty up-front when it comes to sex, and who she would like to have sex with. I even strongly considered making her bisexual at one point (there was a scrapped, time-skipping bad end that would've made that more obvious, and I considered it being one of the things she mentioned in her list of facts in the graveyard), but it would have taken a lot to get that off the ground (again, both in terms of convincing the rest of the team to put up with the extra work and coordination across paths to make it fit, and in terms of backfilling it into the path without it coming off as shoehorned in at the last minute). I've stated on multiple occasions that I have no regrets about how the path wound up--and I still don't--but it's completely true that Emi's path could've used way more work and skill than I was capable of producing at the time. If I were to undertake the project now, it would probably be better, but that's walking down the path of pure speculation.
Aura wrote: Also, one of the most unfortunate things about Emi's route is that the track shed scene is a stupid fucking meme amongst the fans (THEM LEMONS XD) and no one actually thinks about why on earth would Emi act like that. This tangent aside, if you think there's "implied canon" or "early versions of KS", sorry to disappoint you. We had hundreds of ideas that got scrapped, and many of them have some remnants left in the script for whatever reasons. This is just another one. Also semantics lawyering is pointless. "Not explored" means the exact same thing as "scrapped", because both have the same end result, which is that the idea did not end up in the actual story. So yeah the official answer, whatever that means, is that they know each other, are probably friendly, but aren't really buddies.
That bloody track scene is probably my greatest failure, because it was meant to highlight something about Emi's character and everyone only remembers the goddamn lemons. Oh well.

But yes, Misha and Emi are on friendly terms officially, whatever that means. They are at least on good enough terms that Misha cares enough to step in and slap Hisao in his big dumb face if necessary to get him back on the right track.

Unofficially, they met up again when they both wound up in the same area for college and grew much closer, culminating in the traditional rainy confessions and they lived gayly ever after, I dunno.
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

If it's okay to answer, how were the cutscenes made? And I assume they were made after everything else/on the last stages of the game?
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Kon22 wrote:If it's okay to answer, how were the cutscenes made? And I assume they were made after everything else/on the last stages of the game?
This post sums up the process pretty nicely, I think.
DSQ

Post by DSQ »

Did any of the writers decide to go into writing officially? I think that every story line in the game shows a level of skill that was almost professional. In fact better than professional when compared to other video games.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

DSQ wrote:Did any of the writers decide to go into writing officially? I think that every story line in the game shows a level of skill that was almost professional. In fact better than professional when compared to other video games.
I write for a living, but it's all marketing material. I've picked up some freelance writing on the side now and again (website stuff, mostly SEO-geared material) as well.

Writing for a living is surprisingly satisfying, even if it's marketing crap.

One day I might finish and polish up any number of short stories and see about getting them published, but at the moment I'm more content just writing things of that nature to amuse myself.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

DSQ wrote:Did any of the writers decide to go into writing officially? I think that every story line in the game shows a level of skill that was almost professional. In fact better than professional when compared to other video games.
I have written a number of technical articles and press releases for teh monies, but all of my fiction is simply a wa way to blow off some steam...
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
azarga

Post by azarga »

TheHivemind wrote: ...As Aura said, she's open and pretty up-front when it comes to sex, and who she would like to have sex with. I even strongly considered making her bisexual at one point (there was a scrapped, time-skipping bad end that would've made that more obvious, and I considered it being one of the things she mentioned in her list of facts in the graveyard), but it would have taken a lot to get that off the ground (again, both in terms of convincing the rest of the team to put up with the extra work and coordination across paths to make it fit, and in terms of backfilling it....
Ok, I've cut some quotations off to avoid cluttering the page too much.

This is a question to Hivemind.

I remember your other comment on Emi's "good end" afterstory
TheHivemind wrote:
rb867 wrote:Do you feel that the sheer amount of love expressed in this game between two characters such as Hisao and Emi is possible in real life?
Well yeah dude, it is just regular old love going on there, it's nothing earth-shattering. It only seems earth-shattering because it's high school.

Here's an illustration for you. It's the way I figure things play out:

Hisao and Emi are super-happy together for a while, but they don't go to the same college. They drift apart and eventually, they break up. Hisao takes it harder than Emi, or at least spends more time talking about how hard he's taking the breakup. Then they both get distracted by all the cool stuff you get up to in college, and get over it.

Eventually they both meet someone else and it happens all over again. But they remember each other, and eventually they stop focusing on how the breakup hurt and start focusing on the good bits. Maybe they run into one another a few years out of college. They talk like old friends, and then part ways again after exchanging email addresses.

Fifteen years after that, Emi will be at his funeral. She'll talk to his wife and tell him what a great honor it was to know him. She'll go home and cry into her lover's arms, who will understand the whole high-school romance angle because she'd been through it too, once. Then they'll go to bed.
Was that a typo?
Emi is my favorite although all katawas are best katawas, and I want to know as much as I possibly can about her.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Huh, I'd almost forgotten about that bit of writing. Well, here's your answers:
azarga wrote: Was that a typo?
Nope!
Valjean Lafitte wrote: Misha? :o
History does not relate.
azarga

Post by azarga »

Does Rin have any prominent features on her back? Birthmarks, i.e.
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

This just happened to me in an unrelated event in real life.

As writers, was there any idea that you were so excited about when it popped up, that you spent time enthusiastically fleshing it out, only to have another member of the team slam the brakes on it with one of those "Um, am I really the only one who's going to point out that this is a really, really bad idea?"

Damn that voice of reason! :lol:
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

azarga wrote:Does Rin have any prominent features on her back? Birthmarks, i.e.
A huge tattoo of Wassily Kandinsky and Salvador Dali making out.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Eurobeatjester wrote:As writers, was there any idea that you were so excited about when it popped up, that you spent time enthusiastically fleshing it out, only to have another member of the team slam the brakes on it with one of those "Um, am I really the only one who's going to point out that this is a really, really bad idea?"

I'm sure just about every idea that shaked the boat enough got flattened by others. What's "reasonable" is very relative, but being unreasonable is not a reason to not do something.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Eurobeatjester wrote:This just happened to me in an unrelated event in real life.

As writers, was there any idea that you were so excited about when it popped up, that you spent time enthusiastically fleshing it out, only to have another member of the team slam the brakes on it with one of those "Um, am I really the only one who's going to point out that this is a really, really bad idea?"

The 150,000 words of the first Hanako draft.

But it was a good thing that they voted it down. It was silly.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
peanut666666

Post by peanut666666 »

During Lily's route, at what point does she decide to return to Scotland?
Sorry, the context has confused me.
Kon22

Post by Kon22 »

If YOU were a horny teenager with heart problems, which girl would you choose?