How large is the following for KS currently?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ubergeneral

How large is the following for KS currently?

Post by ubergeneral »

For the past week I have tried to get KS included on gamefaqs as an actual game. I put the request in and got denied most likely because on gamefaqs they don't want to include a free/independent game unless it has a large following.

Now I know as a fact that independent games do have info on gamefaqs. Cave Story is a good example. If you ever player Cave Story it would be obvious why it was included.

Now my question is how big is the KS following? I know that just the demo has been a huge success and chatter about this game can be found on other sites all the time. But the question is. Is the following big enough? I think the demo has about 200,000 downloads but that might be a little high. Still if it is there that should be more than enough to put it up.

Opinions?
G3n0c1de

Re: How large is the following for KS currently?

Post by G3n0c1de »

There are currently 1274 registered users on this forum. I have no idea if this is a lot or a little, but for a free game with only a demo out I think it is impressive. And there has to be thousands more players who haven't gone on the forums. Not to mention this is an H-Game whose premise is a bit 'out there', further narrowing the demographics. If anything, once the world sees how awesome the game is it will be posted on gamefaqs. They might cave beforehand, but I don't think its likely. In the game's defense, I personally feel that it should have a page.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Bara

Post by Bara »

I don't believe 4LS can say how many downloads of the Demo are from mirror sites. I believe the 200K estimate is from sites they control (either donated or pay for) themselves.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?

Post by Guest »

Considering statistics at VNDB:

Katawa Shoujo(http://vndb.org/v945) says that KS has "85 votes total… Ranked #38 out of 2167 with a score of 17.35.", for comparision narcissu has "215 votes total… Ranked #7."

BTW, can anyone provide links to sites like vndb.org?
Blue123

Post by Blue123 »

The map will give you an indication of how many visitors we get.

http://www3.clustrmaps.com/counter/maps ... ogspot.com

The "maps archive", which can be found from the same URL, may be a better indication as it seems slightly slower this month.
carbonartistmonked

Post by carbonartistmonked »

i see dotsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
okay. summarised to many many people
cool
a member of carbon artist associates and P.R.O.J.E.C.T.

Pure.Rubbish.Old.Junk.Enters.Comic.Theories

ubergeneral

Post by ubergeneral »

It would be an impossibility to count how many people total have downloaded KS. However just counting downloads from their offical site is possible and then estimating from there.

I propose that when the offical release happens a counter is put on the site for everyone to see how many times it's been downloaded.
Pimmy
~VIBRATIONS~

Post by Pimmy »

I've found fans and such from all around the internet, so it's hard to say, probably! You can't really poll cus anyone who all likes it might not even visit the site that often.
Bara

Post by Bara »

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1417
Link to an old thread from back in May. It has a few "back of the envelope" guesstimates from the Dev Blog hits back then. You can start from there, or just tell them that KS is huge in Finland and that should be enough to convince anyone. :lol:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

I vaguely remember that downloads of Act 1 had broken 100,000 just from our main site. Then there's independent torrents, filesharing uploads and the like to contend with.
Don't quote me chapter and verse on this, though, as I might remember wrong.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

http://www.fakku.net/viewgame.php?id=28

20,000 downloads from Fakku.
Lawls

Post by Lawls »

20,000 downloads from Fakku.
one of those is mine
<Aura> "For a long time now, I've thought it doesn't matter one bit whether they are disabled or not."

"But it’s looking like it may actually happen before we all die." - cpl_crud
  • "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" - Shakespeare
janz

Post by janz »

Blue123 wrote:The map will give you an indication of how many visitors we get.

http://www3.clustrmaps.com/counter/maps ... ogspot.com

The "maps archive", which can be found from the same URL, may be a better indication as it seems slightly slower this month.
Blogspot is banned in China, so you won't see lots Chinese dots on it. It's a wonder there are Chinese dots at all. I donno how they registered as Chinese IP address since most of them have to use proxies from outside of China.
Simplified Chinese Progress - good
Nightdragon

Post by Nightdragon »

Lol at the little tiny dots seemingly in the middle of the ocean. Honestly Im surprised as to how many people are actually into this game. I have no doubt that 4chan and other related sites are responsible. I still can't wait to see if theres anything over in Japan (besides one article in a magazine) that is about KS.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

googling "katawa shoujo" and any related variations gives some funny perspective on this.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents