Lost save data. Have questions.

Vertical

Lost save data. Have questions.

Post by Vertical »

I 100ed% the VN.

I have windows XP installed to my first disc. I installed KS to my third disc, then played it through a shortcut on my second disc where I keep my VN folder. Windows crashes on my first disc and I reinstall XP. KS installation is untouched by this I would think. I go t acccess KS for the first time since reinstalling XP on another disc. Now my save progress is gone from my game.

Not sure completely what to make of this.

Under what directory is the master save file stored so I know next time I want to back this up?

Edit: I realized there might be a different explanation, but I have no proof. My 2nd and 3rd disc had their drive letters changed after I reinstalled XP. Could it be that the master save file is stored on the disc of installation, but might be pointing to the wrong directory path now?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Imagine me and you...
Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Lost save data. Have questions.

Post by Aura »

Ren'py puts its savegame and persistent data to /user/AppData/Roaming/Renpy/ under XP. Reinstalling your OS will blow up all renpy game savedata unless you back them up.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Aura wrote:Ren'py puts its savegame and persistent data to /user/AppData/Roaming/Renpy/ under XP.
Ouch. Not my first choice for a save location, but I guess that's Renpy that did that.

I'm wondering if someone just copied their folder and uploaded it for Vertical to place in the same spot if that would work.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Your home directory is the canonical location for user data. Ren'Py behaves entirely correctly. If you have several HDs, and one of them is for user data, it's very recommended to locate your home directory there after installation.
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

Aura wrote:Ren'py puts its savegame and persistent data to /user/AppData/Roaming/Renpy/ under XP. Reinstalling your OS will blow up all renpy game savedata unless you back them up.
Thank you sir. I will be backing up that folder to my memory stick for future reference.
Validus Razgriz wrote:I'm wondering if someone just copied their folder and uploaded it for Vertical to place in the same spot if that would work.
For you sir. Only the finest. But I'll just bum the completion file off my brother. Thanks for the sentiment.

delta wrote:Your home directory is the canonical location for user data. Ren'Py behaves entirely correctly. If you have several HDs, and one of them is for user data, it's very recommended to locate your home directory there after installation.
That's a great idea. I get tired of adjusting my task bar every time I make a new user account. I'll look into that.
Imagine me and you...