Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura »

Steinherz wrote:
Aura wrote:There's one other CG than the classroom one where you can find some cameos from anime, and one CG where there are a couple inside joke cameos.
I'm actually wondering now, why was Lelouch removed from the full VN, but not the other obvious references (Haruhiko Suzumiya and Ritsu Tainaka)?
Too egregious.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

rterman wrote:Do you have any interest in interactive fiction outside the domain of VNs?
I had, but then a grue ate me.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
AdvancedCryptography

Post by AdvancedCryptography »

Is the name of The Answer a reference to The Question?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

rterman wrote:
Aura wrote:
rterman wrote:Do you have any interest in interactive fiction outside the domain of VNs?
I had, but then a grue ate me.
I see what you did there

On a different note - are you at all worried that KS will define you or overshadow your other work?
Not really. It's going to happen to some (unknown) extent and there's not much that can be done about it. Here are some solutions:

1) Make something that's unarguably better than KS.
2) Make something that KS can't be compared to.
3) Retire the handles and other names we use and create new identities.
4) Never make anything again.
5) Wipe out every trace of KS off the internet and the minds of everyone who has read it.

Anyway, it's not a big deal.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

AdvancedCryptography wrote:Is the name of The Answer a reference to The Question?
Yes.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

It was (and to some extent, remains) a hobby horse of mine. I even wrote a good section of my Master's dissertation on the subject, which, in case you are curious, turned out to be academic suicide. I also have a lengthy argument about how Homestuckis the internet's natural next step in interactive storytelling evolution which I won't bother going into because I won't be held responsible for another annoying fucking Homestuck fan.

Most recently I've been idly picking away at Black Crown, which is something I wish I could write (i.e. good horror).

I also made an attempt to play around in INFORM, but it turns out my ability to patiently sit down and program my own interactive fiction is minimal. I've been sorely tempted to muck about in Twine, but (obviously) I haven't done that either. One day, perhaps, I'll get 'round to it.
OutofBlues

Post by OutofBlues »

TheHivemind wrote:
It was (and to some extent, remains) a hobby horse of mine. I even wrote a good section of my Master's dissertation on the subject, which, in case you are curious, turned out to be academic suicide.
Would you be comfortable explaining why the topic of interactive fiction was academic suicide?
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

OutofBlues wrote:
TheHivemind wrote:
It was (and to some extent, remains) a hobby horse of mine. I even wrote a good section of my Master's dissertation on the subject, which, in case you are curious, turned out to be academic suicide.
Would you be comfortable explaining why the topic of interactive fiction was academic suicide?
It is awfully difficult to convince a department full of Shakespeare and Byron Shelly devotees that Zork or Homestuck have real literary merit.

By awful I mean "basically impossible."
Pascalla

Post by Pascalla »

Aura wrote:"Almost"? Understatement of the week there. I think being obsessive and "crazy" is just pretty standard for being a fan of something. It's not really an issue for me personally. I mean, sure I occasionally find the fandom weird, and it's occasionally hard to interact with the fans because I don't get the fan mindset, but whatever. That could go for anyone.
I find myself thinking about this reply very often.
What exactly did you mean by not understanding the fan mindset?
Were you referring to the fan mindset for Katawa Shoujo or fan mindsets in general?
For either, would you mind pointing out what isn't understandable or explaining a bit?

I had always assumed that everyone was at least a fan of something.
I've met a couple of people that say they don't understand fan mindsets in general, so I've become a bit interested in such a view point whether it's specific or not.

EDIT: I don't want to take up more space in the actual thread; I'll just edit this post.
Your reply has really helped me understand what you and other folks have been saying about not understanding the fan mindset.
Thank you very much for answering my question!
Last edited by Pascalla on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageViolently sob as you begin to nod at some of the things that Kenji is saying.Image
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

TheHivemind wrote: It is awfully difficult to convince a department full of Shakespeare and Byron Shelly devotees that Zork or Homestuck have real literary merit.
It's awfully difficult to convince ANYONE of that, mostly for the reason that it's laughably absurd.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Pascalla wrote:
Aura wrote:"Almost"? Understatement of the week there. I think being obsessive and "crazy" is just pretty standard for being a fan of something. It's not really an issue for me personally. I mean, sure I occasionally find the fandom weird, and it's occasionally hard to interact with the fans because I don't get the fan mindset, but whatever. That could go for anyone.
I find myself thinking about this reply very often.
What exactly did you mean by not understanding the fan mindset?
Were you referring to the fan mindset for Katawa Shoujo or fan mindsets in general?
For either, would you mind pointing out what isn't understandable or explaining a bit?

I had always assumed that everyone was at least a fan of something.
I've met a couple of people that say they don't understand fan mindsets in general, so I've become a bit interested in such a view point whether it's specific or not.
Of course I understand the fan phenomenon. What I meant is that it's so apart from what I'm like that it feels strange, like anything different from ourselves does. I just don't get caught with a piece of art once I'm done with it, even if I liked it a ton or it made a great impact. I could call myself a fan of something, like an author who I like and whose entire production I've read, maybe even own. But it'd only mean I like that stuff a lot. I generally don't write nor read fanfiction, draw fanart, put up posters in my apartment, buy merchandise, wear or use stuff branded with the work, seek out other people to talk about them, not even reread the books (or whatever). A fan does. Fans, to some extent, define their identity and lifestyle through what they like. Some more, some less, but that is what makes a fan.

Something that's probably important to note is that I'm not judging it to be bad, or even absolutely weird. It's just not what I'm like. KS fandom isn't really different in this regard. I was talking about fandom in general.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Lianam wrote:
Well, the word "fan" is an abbreviation of the word "fanatic".

I find it funny that you don't get the fan mindset though. After all, you did spend years working on a project that was based off of piece of artwork. I guess if you want to understand fandom you should try to understand why you stuck with writing for KS. I think that there's a lot of parallels to be drawn.
I think any parallels would be pretty flimsy. I certainly didn't stick with KS because I liked RAITA's picture, or really even the setting we built.
Lianam

Post by Lianam »

Aura wrote:
Lianam wrote:
Well, the word "fan" is an abbreviation of the word "fanatic".

I find it funny that you don't get the fan mindset though. After all, you did spend years working on a project that was based off of piece of artwork. I guess if you want to understand fandom you should try to understand why you stuck with writing for KS. I think that there's a lot of parallels to be drawn.
I think any parallels would be pretty flimsy. I certainly didn't stick with KS because I liked RAITA's picture, or really even the setting we built.
In which case, here's a question:
What did cause you to stick with the project?
Ce ne sont pas une signature.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Lianam wrote: In which case, here's a question:
What did cause you to stick with the project?
Writing is fun, working on a project like this is fun, friends at 4LS and who I've otherwise met through KS are great people. Also giving up would've been losing and shameful.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

delta wrote:
TheHivemind wrote: It is awfully difficult to convince a department full of Shakespeare and Byron Shelly devotees that Zork or Homestuck have real literary merit.
It's awfully difficult to convince ANYONE of that, mostly for the reason that it's laughably absurd.
In the world of postmodernism, EVERYTHING has literary merit.

Even Zork.

Homestuck is easier to argue for, if only because of its place in popular culture, its self-aware commentary of its own popularity, its use of interactivity to immerse readers in the world, its traditional themes of growing up and dealing with parents and love, etc. etc. etc. Oh, and its use of the medium in which it is presented in order to transmit particular parts of meaning or narrative that would be, if not impossible, at least more difficult to execute through printed matter.
rterman wrote:Hivemind: Did you do any "hands-on research" for Emi's track shed scene?
Nope, I stole the rather painful ending wholesale from Erika Moen's Dar and the rest of it was just a collection of cliches from other (poorly written) erotica (the amount of time I spent reading really shitty fanfiction as a direct result of needing more ways to describe sticking a dick in a butt is, at this point, incalculable).