Transience

WORDS WORDS WORDS

LordDarknus

Transience

Post by LordDarknus »

"When things go wrong... never stop doing what is right."

My father always used to say that, everytime when one of us was feeling down, or a little upset with life.

He was a disgraced detective, and I was a mute. It was he who accidentally took my voice, and it was I who lost a dear friend to a stray bullet.

My friend didn't die, he.. he lost his sight, and slowly.. his mind too.

He started forgetting things, Important things, ...he changed so much; it was as if we never met.

Anton-Babinski Syndrome, radical personality shifts, short tempers, ...i think the friend that i loved Did actually die.

The last time I saw him, at the entrance ceremony of his new school; he didn't even recognise my voice.

I stood alone amidst falling petals, quietly crying for the boy i used to love, as he disappears forever into the crowds of strangers.

My father tried to comfort me, as I try to think of the story about a letter, and how the special school 'Yamaku' got its name...

'Transience'

My grandfather sent me a photograph of the magical Japanese cherry blossoms, framing the iconic American monument in beautiful disbelief.

It was in 1912, when the Mayor of Tokyo gave the old majestic trees to Washington D.C., in celebration of international friendship.

But 30 years later; Pearl Harbour was attacked. Four of the trees were hatefully cut down. The Americans had to stop calling them 'Japanese' cherry blossoms, and suspend their own celebration of Hanami.

10 years later, after the war, my grandfather intercepted a letter in his 'black room' office, it was addressed to a 'Saki Enomoto'.

It was a sad story; the writer had come to America on a scholarship to study economics, and fell deeply in love with an ailing Saki, an American-Japanese born in an internment camp.

They tried to stay together in hiding, but they were found and forced apart. The writer was deported for violating the terms and visa, and Saki died on a breathing machine.

I think my father was haunted by that story, for the letter taking too long to reach Saki, and how many other stories must have met such an end, as cruel fate moves to silently withhold our desperate words.

"The desperate and the dead can't speak for themselves", maybe that's why he became a detective, and transferred to Japan. My grandfather was very unhappy that he left America, but my father wanted to find his peace, and the story that haunted him seemed to fade away with each successful case closed. I'm sure he was happy, when he met and married my mother, and I came into being in their arms.

But that weird story about 'Bartleby the Scrivener' finally made sense to me, when I understood the reason why my father fell into depression; He found a letter, meant to be delivered to a family on their daughter's 20th birthday, but a fire had taken away the family before then.

It was a typed letter, my father thinks it's because Mr. Ikezawa had less-than-decent handwriting. And my father would go on and on about it, until my mother grew so sick of it she would one day leave me and never come home. I cried thinking she left because I couldn't speak.

My father couldn't understand it either, the way the world worked and how everything seems to go wrong. Blaming himself for our broken family, he left me in the care of his friends; a rookie detective and Miss Akira.

Miss Akira and "Mr. Rookie" didn't really understand it either, but they were happy to take turns babysitting me every once in a while, for as long as a time my father needed. Looking back, I think it actually brought Akira and "Mr. Rookie" closer than they would have been. ..I think, ..Miss Akira had a crush on my father, but kept it forever to herself.

"Life is not a fairytale; things go wrong, and you do what you have to do to move on", Mr. Rookie said that once, although I think he didn't meant for me to hear it, because.. ...because then, I had been "abducted" by the boy that I loved, and my father fired a stray bullet.

"When things go wrong... never stop doing what is right."

I want to move on, with my father, I want us to try to live together again, like a family. No matter how broken. I want to put all the bad things behind us, and so I wave goodbye to Hinata, even if he can't see me smiling in tears, as he goes into his first class at Yamaku.

Maybe it's just fate that things happen the way they do...

After all, my name is Kaguya. And he always Looks to the Sun of Better Days ahead.

...ahh, *sniff*, maybe.. maybe I can too.

--------------------

Happy 20th Birthday My Little Dango,

It will be 20 years now, between now, and the time of my writing this letter on your very first birthday.

There are so many things that I'll wonder if they turned out the way I want them to, but alas, life and fate are fickle and lightsome. What can I say?

Hmmm, I'm guessing by now you were half-expecting this letter, since your father wrote one for Hanako for her 20th birthday, ..well, he Typed it, given how Awful his handwriting is. ...and it hasn't improved at all, has it?

Oh, by now I think you're used to it, the teasing between me and your father I mean, and all the little quirks we have that must embarrass you and your sister. My parents used to be like that, ..as fondly as I remember them to be.

Hmm, it's strange, isn't it? We're both adults now, yet we still find treasures from the time when we were children, when our mother would cuddle us and play with us.

Everytime I had my doubts about how to calm Hanako from crying, the memory of how my mother took care of me becomes my guiding light; I didn't know why my mother would tell me silly stories or was stern with me, but as I raise Hanako the way I was raised, ..it, it brings me to tears to see my little Lotus growing into a beautiful young girl.

Ahah, I'm sorry, this letter isn't about me, although I do have a lot I want to tell you about my own days as a little girl, and how you are probably taking A Lot for granted ....I think, when you have a child of your own, ..you'll understand all the little cherished moments between us that I can't put down in words.

..or, maybe you've confided in your older sister more than me, I didn't have any brothers or sisters of my own to imagine how you and Hanako would talk about things like make-up, or the latest fashions, or boyfriends.

...I looked over just now, and saw my Little Lotus smiling and playing with my Little Dango, ...I think it'll be alright, Hanako is a kind and gentle girl, and she loves you with all her heart. ..I'm sure you two will grow very close, and come to care for each other as loving sisters.

Oh, you've probably heard me tell you this story before, about why I call you My Sweet Little Dango, but in case your father would butt in and make jokes about it every time that I do, I'll make sure there is at least this time that he doesn't get the chance;

It was.. on a beautiful day, when you were born, it was almost near the end of Hanami outside the window, and all along the river the trees were pink with life in a beauty only the heart can describe in memory.

I was tired of course, and for a moment, I wondered about the fireworks the night before, when I overheard again that silly old story that cherry blossom tress were originally white, but stained red with blood. And then, in blinding flashes of pain as you came into this world, I decided to give you your name; Hanabi.

You were beautiful, and crying loudly, and in bright adorable pink, just like the Hanami festival you were born in.

You are my flowery light in the night sky, a young reflection of your older sister Hanako, my little lotus in the pond.

I call you Sweet Little Dango, because your cute little face almost looked like the big red Dango that your father was nibbling on in nervousness.

He was even more nervous than Hanako, if you would believe it, ..oh, so that's why he doesn't stop making fun about how cute you are to be called 'Little Dango', he was a nervous wreck the whole time! I'll make sure to poke fun at him with that from now on.

And you be sure to be nice to him as he grows old, I know he can be a little bit difficult sometimes, and I might not even be helping much with how he is, but underneath our odds and quirks, ..we really love you more than we can say.

I Love You, Hanabi, and even though the saying goes that they prefer the "Dango instead of the Flowers", both you and Hanako are just as important in making my life spent taking care you, and your father's long days at work, as beautiful as a Hanami festival, Every Single Day, for the rest of our lives.

Happy 20th Birthday, Hanabi

We Love You

--------------------

In distance I hear the low rumbling of calm storms, the blue clouds swirl and billow in such magnificence, that in their darkness I glimpse the silver linings of lightning, interconnecting in brilliance the forgotten distances.

A wind swept field reminds me that I'm in it, with a light kiss from a drop of rain. The sheep don't make a sound, they follow their own way to parts unknown. I enjoy the scenery one more moment, before heading back to my car, and bracing again the roads of coastal Scotland.

I wasn't expecting to be heading this far north, especially in such a weather so distant from the Hanami festival going on back home in Washington.

But it can't be helped, as I turn on the windscreen wipers to clear off accumulated moisture, I smile a bit in memory of what's leading me on this road, ..and what's at the end of it.

I had a scholarship to study medicine in Washington D.C., America, granted to me after a recommendation. I didn't know who or cared too much why, I was just happy to accept it and ended up moving out of my old foster home.

It seems cruel, looking back on it now, I had let the lack of blood relation taint my judgements, and have come to hate my foster parents who often argued about something or another. And it did not help make my heart grow fonder, the absence that Hisao left in my life after I confessed that I love him.

It was a beautiful snowy day when it happened, amidst the white agony when his heart fluttered, and I carried him to the side of the road, desperately hailing for help.

But all of that doesn't seem to matter, he survived to grow cold and distant from me, never saying a word until the day I left. 'Why did I leave?', 'When did I leave?', did he ask anything about me after that? I doubt he even noticed that I peeled him an apple.

I couldn't survive like that, taking care of someone who doesn't want me around. He doesn't blame me, I think, he was just lost in the long misery ahead that our brief flicker of happiness had become.

I was worried about him, but I needed to forget him, hence a letter that in writing through the tears of my heart, I denied my pain and suffering as politely as if it never happened.

He never replied.

I think we did the exact same thing; organising our thoughts and filing away our feelings. It seemed inevitable that we saw each other one last time after graduation, on February 14, and in his mute answer, I saw everything that could have been flash by one last time on that snowy winter day, and finally settle peacefully on the white plains of forgotten memories.

But life is lightsome and fate can be fickle, I found out later on that it was Hisao who asked his professor to make the recommendation that got me where I wanted. ..He clearly knows his academic politics, though I wasn't bothered that I never had the chance to thank him.

I was mournful, I was heart-broken, I was devastated, when I found out he was gone, years after the fact. A young American-Japanese investigator named Kaguya came to D.C. to give me the letter, ..she had to tell me via the letter, she was mute.

But there was more to be said; she gave me another letter, one from my mother, my Real Mother, and gave me back my Real Name; I am 'Hanabi'. Not 'Iwanako'. Some weird mix-up and confusions happened, a series of unnecessary of events that kept me from Hanako, ..my older sister ...who survived the fire alone ...and was gone. Years after the fact.

It was a tragedy that didn't have to happen, and yet it did, but in the shock, in the grief, in the agony, Kaguya gave me a name to look for; Hikari, my niece .....my family.

She was in Scotland, Kaguya wanted to go with me to find Hikari, as she was a childhood friend of Hanako's first husband Hinata, but she was wrapped up in work back in Japan. She merely asked that I deliver one last letter, written from my father to Hanako, meant for her 20th birthday, to Hikari. It would be enough for Kaguya, it was something that would have given final rest to the investigator's father.

And so that is how I've come to a Letter's End at John o' Groats. I finally find and approach a girl with an eyepatch, painting the dismal looking horizon, but deftly smiling ahead, as she just knew that there Better Days ahead...

THE END

Author's Notes:

No man is an island.

We are all pages of the same story.

If a bell tolls for another, it tolls for thee as well.

Even a long long journey, filled with grief, sorrow, and sadness, will come to an end.

When it does, all the happy things, all the sad things, will roll into one.

Dango Daikazoku.
BlackWaltzTheThird

Re: Transience

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

Hmm. A sequel-of-sorts to "Ai", I take it? It's certainly interesting. What I got out of it was that you started with a OC? I thought it was Shizune at first, what with the muteness and mention of her her dad and all, but then when it went into the stuff about the boy with Anton-Babinski Syndrome and I started thinking of Kenji, that was all shut down explicitly with the backstory.

It then went on to the letter, which also confused me for a sec; Mrs. Ikezawa writing to a daughter that was not Hanako... you know. And we ended up back to a person in the present. I assumed it to be the aforementioned OC again, then later Hanako, but again I was wrong. Man, I'm bad at reading. Also, it seemed like Hanako died? I dunno. The story as a whole was quite confusing. Enjoyable, but confusing.

Also, there were a fair few minor spelling and grammar errors. Tiny things like an accidental capital here or there. If you like I could list them for you, either here or in a PM.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
LordDarknus

Post by LordDarknus »

BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:Hmm. A sequel-of-sorts to "Ai", I take it? It's certainly interesting. What I got out of it was that you started with a OC? I thought it was Shizune at first, what with the muteness and mention of her her dad and all, but then when it went into the stuff about the boy with Anton-Babinski Syndrome and I started thinking of Kenji, that was all shut down explicitly with the backstory.

It then went on to the letter, which also confused me for a sec; Mrs. Ikezawa writing to a daughter that was not Hanako... you know. And we ended up back to a person in the present. I assumed it to be the aforementioned OC again, then later Hanako, but again I was wrong. Man, I'm bad at reading. Also, it seemed like Hanako died? I dunno. The story as a whole was quite confusing. Enjoyable, but confusing.
It's like the Avengers movie, it's a sequel to a bunch load of other stories, such as;

Kenji's Story (not much related, just a mention about Kenji seeing Rin in 'Without Faces', the "background continuity" since then was changed around a bit to accommodate 'Without Faces')
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7200

magpies (Iwanako's Feb 14 meeting)
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7492

Lotus Child (Hikari)
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7525

Ai (Probably the only fic here that is set near after World War II)
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8295

Without Faces (Hinata's story, before Hikari)
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8460

10th July, 1990 (cpl_crud wrote this one, and it's good)
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1801

The only real continuity problem I had was between 'Without Faces' and 'Lotus Child', (one or two continuity was changed around for the sake of making them more.. 'better" as standalone stories) but I attribute all that to 'Unreliable Protagonist with severe memory and personality problems', which may be why Hanako took to caring for him, since after her outburst in her Bad End, she thought she didn't deserve better, even though she did grow to truly love him anyway.

Also; It really IS almost near the end of the Hanami festival Right Now. As of this post. And a few of the other mentioned recent stories were also posted during this Hanami festival time. They All Were Posted During Hanami! Do You Know How Awesome That Is?
BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:Also, there were a fair few minor spelling and grammar errors. Tiny things like an accidental capital here or there. If you like I could list them for you, either here or in a PM.
Yeah go ahead and list them here, I did this fic in like, 4 hours, under pressure of time constraints, and I'm about to go see Iron Man 3. So more spelling errors and grammar mistakes than usual must have crept in I assume.

EDIT: Also, I kinda like my OC, she's not a typical OC, yet she fits in the "katawa shoujo" universe, ..or at least I think so. She deserves an illustration.

errr, well, not quite how I imagined...

But here's what Hikari would Sort-of, Kinda, look like;

By the way, there's Hinata right there, with a name that puns his sunglasses, you can't miss him.
BlackWaltzTheThird

LordDarknus wrote:i loved Did actually die
the boy i used to love
he disappears (disappeared) forever
he Typed it, given how Awful
taking A Lot for granted
he doesn't get the chance; .
via the letter, (because/as) she was mute
my Real Mother, and gave me back my Real Name
She was in Scotland, (.)
there (were) Better Days ahead...
Also, this line is quite purple:
LordDarknus wrote:My grandfather sent me a photograph of the magical Japanese cherry blossoms, framing the iconic American monument in beautiful disbelief.
That was everything I spotted, but there might be something I missed. It could be worth your time to have someone proofread your stuff before you post it, if you want.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
LordDarknus

Post by LordDarknus »

BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:
LordDarknus wrote:i loved Did actually die
the boy i used to love
he disappears (disappeared) forever
he Typed it, given how Awful
taking A Lot for granted
he doesn't get the chance; .
via the letter, (because/as) she was mute
my Real Mother, and gave me back my Real Name
She was in Scotland, (.)
there (were) Better Days ahead...
Wow, that's a lot of errors, Thanks BlackWaltzTheThird!

(though technically the only unintentional one was the last one, "there were Better Days ahead...")

(all the other was either capitalisation for Emphasis on the part of the "speaker", or as a sign of "lower sense of self" when saying "i" instead of the capital "I", kinda the opposite of addressing God with a "He", instead of "he".)

(it's all still grammar and spelling errors anyway, i know i know)

BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:Also, this line is quite purple:
LordDarknus wrote:My grandfather sent me a photograph of the magical Japanese cherry blossoms, framing the iconic American monument in beautiful disbelief.
No it's pretty pink.

It's meant to be a counter-point or a contrast or comparison of "opposites";

Japanese <> American

magical ("oriental sense of the mystical") <> iconic ("western symbolism of strength")

cherry blossoms <> American monument

(Kaguya wouldn't be familiar enough to call it the 'Washington Monument', so she addresses it descriptively)

BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:That was everything I spotted, but there might be something I missed. It could be worth your time to have someone proofread your stuff before you post it, if you want.
Heh, Thanks for the generosity BlackWaltzTheThird, if I can make up more stuff later on, I think I'll come to you for your help.

Thanks Again BlackWaltzTheThird! You're a Great Guy!

P.S. : Is any of my stuff even worth proofreading? There are so few replies overall...
BlackWaltzTheThird

LordDarknus wrote:You're a Great Guy!
Please, you flatter me.
LordDarknus wrote:P.S. : Is any of my stuff even worth proofreading? There are so few replies overall...
It's always worth proofreading. Don't be discouraged by a lack of replies. People would still be reading, they just may not have an opinion strong enough to post about. It may be worth organising your future stuff into a collected thread of oneshots, like me and many others. In any case, you should be writing for you, not for us.

LordDarknus

Post by LordDarknus »

LordDarknus wrote:You're a Great Guy!
Please, you flatter me.
Really? But you're the only who posted so far, and even given me advice and help!

You are at least a Good Guy!
LordDarknus wrote:P.S. : Is any of my stuff even worth proofreading? There are so few replies overall...
It's always worth proofreading. Don't be discouraged by a lack of replies. People would still be reading, they just may not have an opinion strong enough to post about.
Oh.. I see, ...ok.
BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:It may be worth organising your future stuff into a collected thread of oneshots, like me and many others.
I suppose that might have.. Was Probably a good sound idea from the start, but I was imagining each one-shot to be "self-sufficient" standalone stories, and if people like it / respond to it enough, I can expand it further into a self-contained "mini-series" (like 'Lotus Child') without causing too much clutter in a single thread.
BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:In any case, you should be writing for you, not for us.
Well... yeah, I guess you're right.

Thanks BlackWaltzTheThird, for all your kind words, I Appreciate it.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

P.S. : Is any of my stuff even worth proofreading? There are so few replies overall...
I'm sorry. Your stories are by no means bad, but I guess they're just not my thing. And my writing style is so completely different from yours that I wouldn't know what kind of advice I could give you...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
forgetmenot

Post by forgetmenot »

I'm with Mirage. I always enjoy reading your stuff... I think... but it's just so free-form I doubt any advice or feedback I could give would be helpful. It's certainly unique, though. You definitely have your own voice, which is definitely a plus. I'd just say keep writing. Even if zero people read your story, as long as you feel like you're getting better, it's more than worth it.
LordDarknus

Post by LordDarknus »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
I'm sorry. Your stories are by no means bad, but I guess they're just not my thing. And my writing style is so completely different from yours that I wouldn't know what kind of advice I could give you...
Oh.. sorry, I.. don't really know how to.. respond,

But Thank You Mirage_GSM, for your post.

I Appreciate it.

forgetmenot wrote:I'm with Mirage. I always enjoy reading your stuff... I think... but it's just so free-form I doubt any advice or feedback I could give would be helpful. It's certainly unique, though. You definitely have your own voice, which is definitely a plus. I'd just say keep writing. Even if zero people read your story, as long as you feel like you're getting better, it's more than worth it.
"Free-form"? "unique"?

Well, I guess, yeah, ..probably way better words than the ones I got.. about 6 months ago?

Thank You too, forgetmenot, I appreciate your posting.

Oh, and sorry BlackWaltzTheThird, for posting this directly, but I may not be able to come online for a while, so I just.. "jumped the gun",

...sorry man,

==============================

Dear Iwanako,

It's me, Hisao Nakai.

I'm sorry if this letter has brought out old emotions and painful memories you'd rather forget, ..I know what it feels like to receive a letter from a long lost love, written through tears of the heart for the sake of closure.

How have you been? I heard you've received a good recommendation from an esteemed Professor, and you've probably taken up the scholarship and moved to America to study whatever you wanted to... I mean, that's what I heard, I mean... I guess you're doing alright.

This letter is harder than I thought..., about one hour has passed and this is all I've written.

I can't keep going in circles in my head, trying to say the right words in the right way, it's raining outside, I won't get enough time after tonight, with all the paperwork to check and mark, and Hanako and Hikari to look after... I need to tell you now;

I Love You.

I love you, Iwanako, I don't think I ever stopped, ...the feelings have jaded by now, ..circumstances and my wretched choices have made it impossible for us from the beginning. .....and now, you have your new life to lead, and I have married.

...I think, my writing of this letter, is meant for you, as much as it's meant for myself to hear,

I'm continuing this letter in a.. form of autobiography, I think it'll be easier that way for the words to come, and I have to meet up with Hinata afterwards, he sounded drunk on the phone, and I'm worried he could get in trouble ...given the way he is.

The first few days I came to Yamaku Academy, I was.. well, pretty much the way you left me in that hospital room; looking really lost and sad, even Emi thought I could use some company. ...err, she's an old friend of mine. ..sort of.

I met someone I fell in love with, ..her name is Hanako, and I didn't know I was in love with her.

Like so many of my friends, I ended up pushing her way for some reason or another, ..she yelled at me, I didn't really know why then, ..it brought me back to that moment you left, only the roles have been reversed and I was still the one at fault.

In the same way I neglected to respect her and her feelings, I took advantage of Lilly's kindness and shared a drunk night with her, just next door of Hanako, ...Lilly was Hanako's close friend, her Only friend.

We had smothered Hanako, all throughout our time together, keeping her from blooming as a person, blinded in our sympathy for her scarred past. And in despair, after being confronted with our foolishness, Lilly and I wisely got ourselves drunk and indulged in each other's pity.

Everything between the three of us fell apart. Lilly and I couldn't face Hanako anymore after how we've betrayed her, and even though I tried, or at least pretended, to fix and mend the pain by trying to love Lilly, it only broke us further apart as people.

I spent the days trudging through the grief, feeling choked with regret, living aimlessly under the heavy stone in my wretched heart.

And yet, by chance of luck, I glimpsed a trickle of light. I saw Hanako reaching out to Hinata, and he spoke the kindest words to her that I never could, giving her hope and reason to believe in people again.

I smiled as she smiled, and we both cried and said goodbye, in one brief distance of silent glances to each other. I left Hanako to be with Hinata, knowing in my heart that things were going to be alright, in the old tea room that still remembers our time together.

I only spoke with Hanako one last time before graduation, at night during Tanabata, ...well no, Tanabata had already passed, but Shizune and Misha still had their yukatas, and they wanted to wear them one last time, so I suggested we do a small little festival of our own, between friends.

Luckily the teachers never found out about it, with us sneaking out after curfew and all. While it cheered me up to have shared that last special night between friends, in the looming separation that will happen on graduation day, I kept in my heart forever the sight of Hanako wearing her yukata.

I spoke to her, and I.. don't even remember what we said, all I cared about was that she was smiling, and she'd lost a lot of her fear of other people, and unafraid to enjoy her highschool life, though short a time as it seemingly was. And even if I'll never see or speak to her again, even if she's happier holding on to Hinata's hand instead of mine..., I was happy.

And then, graduation.

And you know I'm not very good at dealing with life-changing situations,

After leaving Yamaku, I felt ..empty.

..as if the best years of my life had already left me before I even knew it.

I languished, not knowing what to do or how to even go on living.

But then, you came to my door, smiling sadly through the snow of winters past.

You've been crying, lost and lonely in the cold. I would have embraced you and kissed you if I knew I could.

Iwanako, that moment, that night on February 14, I didn't know myself well enough to think I deserve you again.

I loved you, but I still pushed you away so cruelly, and again hurt us both so deeply.

...I think, I wasn't strong enough to love you. My heart was lead by confusion in that one moment of decision.

The morning you left, I reached out for you ...but you weren't there.

The blanket I gave you.. you warmly covered me with, as I slept dreaming of you on the sofa.

I thought we were together, I thought I felt your warmth.. your strawberry perfume, ...but I woke up and found only your shadow.

Did you hold me? While I was sleeping? I was dreaming that you did..,

Thank you Iwanako, for taking care of me on that cold winter morning, for giving me warmth, comfort and love,

I treasure that gesture of kindness forever, knowing that I don't deserve it, and you didn't have to but still found it in your heart to look after me anyway.

That morning was very special to me, without saying a word, you had given hope and strength to journey on, on this long long road called life.

From that morning on, I started taking better care of myself, exercising a little, making a proper breakfast, started studying again.

It lead to me earning entrance into Brown University in America, ..I don't know if you've heard about it, but the old Principal of Yamaku used to attend Brown University, and Yamaku's design was heavily based on Brown's.

So imagine my utter shock to see the Same black wrought-iron gates again, I stood there for about a full minute, thinking maybe I was teleported back to Japan or somehow got my wish to turn back time.

..heh, yeah, it was one of those things that made me think about life, the universe and everything else.

My Professor's first lecture reminded me what Mutou once said; that everything is connected, and information is always preserved.

As in, if you could turn back time, you'll see that the future will still hold the memory of the past, and even if we are forgotten after our time, our good deeds and selflessness will still become the guiding light of someone else's life.

"Islands in the stream", that is what we are, that is the answer to life, the universe and everything else;

Though separated by impossible distances, like electrons or islands, or planets and galaxies, it's not impossible at all to overcome the vast oceans of life's emptinesses, and truly reach out in love, in the same universe without ever needing to teleport or turn back time.

Though sometimes the fates are kind and they form for us a magical bridge of magpies.

I am sorry I squandered our bridge of magpies, and forever doomed us apart.

But I didn't know what kindness was, or if I was capable of it.

It's only after years of living, and on that morning you left me with an act of kindness, did the truth emerge from the doubts;

That while not everyone is born with a good heart (I know this firsthand);

Kindness, is something that must be learned; Only then can Love, bloom in all four shapes and kindness,

And wisdom is a circle, what one receives, one must give back.

That guiding principle has lead me back here, to Yamaku. To teach.

I want to nurture the next generation, I want to give back the hope and kindness I needed to journey on,

On this long long road I took, that lead me back to the old tea room, where I met the librarian's daughter; Hikari.

My daughter.., now. She... Hikari is Hanako and Hinata's child, but.., some troubles happened, I didn't know what had come between them, and I assumed the worst, in shock of seeing how frail and weakened to the bone Hanako had become.

A faded red spot on her arm led me to assume that she fell into addiction, ..it was just the other day when I was instructed to look for any such signs in my students, as a teacher I took the instructions very seriously, and.. ended up saying the wrong things again.

Hanako was.... she spent, years, recovering from critical condition, after giving birth to Hikari, ...Hinata was in jail.

But that's over now, it's not important, bad things happened, and Hanako's misgivings towards Hinata has lessened a lot, she obviously feels stabbed in the heart with betrayal, for the person who taught her love and song, and helped her be strong was..., well, he's changed, now, Hinata has changed. He's a better man now.

Oh.. I'm supposed to meet him tonight, I guess I got.. carried away,

Well, a long story short, I married Hanako, and Hinata's working diligently to make up for his past. I won't say he was innocent, but given the circumstances he had, I at least understand. Even if Hanako doesn't forgive him, I want to help him, as best I can.

Hinata was always a good person, with a kind heart, ...he just took the wrong road for a while.

Hmm, ..I guess this letter is meant to tell you what I've been doing with my life,

Or in a long roundabout way;

To say Thank You, for being kind to me. Even if it wasn't much for you to be able to give it so freely, it meant the world for me.

I suppose it is what I want to tell you;

Thank You, Iwanako.

For Loving Me.

Dearly,

Hisao Nakai

P.S.

I had these photos and.., for some reason, I think.. I think I want you to have them,

They're of Hanako,

One I took the other day, while we were out reminiscing in a café

The other one Hinata took, ...he's blind, so how he did it, I really can't say.

It was on Hanako's 20th birthday.

And one was.. Yuuko the librarian asked, "Hanako, if I may?"

Hanako smiled and said.. "okay"

Oddball

Post by Oddball »

You definitely have your own style here, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. It flows well and has a certain softness and poetry to it which makes it stand out, but on the other hand, that also tends to make all your characters feel the same. I can't really connect to any of them as characters, there're just all there as part of the "poem".

Also, I really think you overdid it on the vagueness in the first part. I felt like I was getting about twelve different fragments of a story without anything that clearly defined what was happening or who these characters even were.
Not Dead Yet
LordDarknus

Post by LordDarknus »

Oddball wrote:You definitely have your own style here, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. It flows well and has a certain softness and poetry to it which makes it stand out, but on the other hand, that also tends to make all your characters feel the same. I can't really connect to any of them as characters, there're just all there as part of the "poem".
Umm, yeah, I guess. You can't "have one without the other"?

It's quite odd (pun) that you would say this, because I started K-Shounen, which should be "Character-heavy", one day before your post.

(though I don't know if I did the characterisation right with K-Shounen either, but that's heavily one-person perspective anyway...)

(never mind)

(and I started it on May 15, but I hadn't seen your post up until now, so I guess it's... oddly (pun) coincidental)

Many Thanks for your critique and praise Oddball! I appreciate it!

Oddball wrote:Also, I really think you overdid it on the vagueness in the first part. I felt like I was getting about twelve different fragments of a story without anything that clearly defined what was happening or who these characters even were.
Well... I was kinda hoping the reader would "already know" and guess from the opening, since it comes right after 'Without Faces', and leads on all the way back to 'Ai', 'Lotus Child', etc etc,

But yeah, I guess I should have looked harder at the Avengers movie...

Anyway, Thank You for your post Oddball!

Sorry I didn't reply earlier!