Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

A Forum Member

Re: Ask!

Post by A Forum Member »

How come Aura has godlike english skills when he/she is not a native english speaker? And why does Aura posts five times in a row instead of citing multiple people in one post?
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Suriko wrote:Japanese high school gets special mention as it really is a plague on the visual novel medium. It's difficult to think of another media so entirely gripped by a single setting, excepting very rare AAA releases or independents.
Perhaps it's my inexperience with the medium, then, that makes it seem less of a bore. This is still the only VN I've bothered with, despite many recommendations. Looking at the synopsis for them, though, I can see how that might be a problem.

Were any other setting locations attempted before arriving at the one presented?

Given that Raita's original drawing didn't get terribly specific on the character backgrounds, I could see the same plot playing out at a collegiate level, or perhaps even within a small microcosm community like an office building, or a mall--the five girls working at or running various shops or businesses, or departments within the same business, maybe in Europe or America somewhere.

Now I'm just spit-balling ideas...
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

A Forum Member wrote:How come Aura has godlike english skills when he/she is not a native english speaker?
Fielding this part of the question as his editor.

I wouldn't call them "godlike" any more than I'd call mine that, and in any case I find that native English speakers tend to get freaking lazy beyond belief with their own language.

I have written about this elsewhere, but in a nutshell: if you work at something, you usually become better at it.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

You know, it's been bugging me for a while... what on Earth does your sig mean, Silentcook? Care to elaborate on it?
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:You know, it's been bugging me for a while... what on Earth does your sig mean, Silentcook? Care to elaborate on it?
'94 is the year when I became a nurse. When I got taken on board as a medical advisor, crud half-jokingly said that my job was to shatter everybody's dreams with cold hard facts, more or less.

The ugly pic is a screencap of the very last commit made before Act 1 got released to the public. It was a last-minute fix, made in feverish haste at an ungodly hour to correct a bad line break that had passed unnoticed until the very last moment. The pic is ugly because I suck at anything involving graphics.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

A Forum Member wrote:How come Aura has godlike english skills when he/she is not a native english speaker? And why does Aura posts five times in a row instead of citing multiple people in one post?
Education, practice, osmosis. A language can be learned just like anything, with perseverance and hard work.

It's a personal preference to keep it to one reply per one post. Hope it doesn't bother you too much.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

A couple questions from me. I apologize if they've been asked before, but I just haven't been able to get through all 184 pages yet

1) Everyone can agree that the characters in the game ring amazingly true to life regarding their feelings and emotions. Do any of the devs have any sort of background in psychology, or have they just read a lot. :)

2) I notice Lilly wears a cross necklace when shes dressed casually. Is she religious at all? Because lord knows a lot of Christians could take lessons from her.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

pandaphil wrote:A couple questions from me. I apologize if they've been asked before, but I just haven't been able to get through all 184 pages yet

1) Everyone can agree that the characters in the game ring amazingly true to life regarding their feelings and emotions. Do any of the devs have any sort of background in psychology, or have they just read a lot. :)

2) I notice Lilly wears a cross necklace when shes dressed casually. Is she religious at all? Because lord knows a lot of Christians could take lessons from her.
1. I don't, and I don't believe any of the other developers have either. I don't really interact with other people very much at all.

2. She's Catholic.
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

Suriko wrote:2. She's Catholic.
I was actually planing on asking the same thing but forgot about it, I take it she is a bit casually about her religion, seeing that she uses birth control and had sex before marriage?
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
Glitter Freeze

Post by Glitter Freeze »

Is there a source for Suriko's avatar, I was hoping for a version of it with higher resolutions.
Can you correct my English if it's bad?
Yellow 13 wrote:also, After the heart attack you are in a hospital room, all alone, back to square one. but then suddenly the music box and FEELS, FEELS EVERYWHERE
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Glitter Freeze wrote:Is there a source for Suriko's avatar, I was hoping for a version of it with higher resolutions.
Can you correct my English if it's bad?
http://shimmie.katawa-shoujo.com/post/view/445
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
A Forum Member

Post by A Forum Member »

Did it happen that a writer was forced to make drastic changes of some sort to their path? I don't mean if a writer was convinced by the others to make changes; I mean a scenario where the writer was outright forced to make a change even though he/she wanted it to be different.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

A Forum Member wrote:Did it happen that a writer was forced to make drastic changes of some sort to their path? I don't mean if a writer was convinced by the others to make changes; I mean a scenario where the writer was outright forced to make a change even though he/she wanted it to be different.
No. Nobody had that kind of authority over others. Of course, there line between "forcing" and 3-4 people very vocally piling on someone is pretty thin.
Jovereign

Post by Jovereign »

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

You guys seem really diverse when it comes to your cultural backgrounds. Suriko from Australia, Aura is Finnish, and someone posted TheHiveMind living in Chicago a few pages ago I think (looks like a start of a mini United Nations XD).

Due to this, were their ever any communication problems or difficulties in meeting each other in person?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Jovereign wrote:Sorry if this question has been asked before.

You guys seem really diverse when it comes to your cultural backgrounds. Suriko from Australia, Aura is Finnish, and someone posted TheHiveMind living in Chicago a few pages ago I think (looks like a start of a mini United Nations XD).

Due to this, were their ever any communication problems or difficulties in meeting each other in person?
I don't think so. Communication across the globe was difficult mostly due to the timezones, and the long geographic distances have made meeting in person an extremely rare occasion for most of us, but I don't think the cultural differences ever were a factor in that.