Shizune Arc

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Umber

Re: Shizune Arc

Post by Umber »

OtakuNinja wrote:I used texts to communicate with my ex gf. We only spoke on the phone once, because she was so shy. (And we never met IRl, 'cause I broke up with her after 8 months...)
Text based relationships. I wonder if the Jigoro/Hideaki - Shizune family life would fair any better if one of the male blue-haired characters learned sign language.
Pascalla wrote:It's not difficult to get used to, but the folks around you might not want to deal with paper and pen messages. :(
I had to do this when I got my wisdom teeth removed and couldn't speak. People didn't like having to wait so long, made them uncomfortable.
Patience is not a well known virtue 'round here.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Xanatos wrote:I used to use a pen and paper to talk. Easy to get used to, really.
I would actually do this a lot more often if I could. I don't particularly like talking to people or using the energy to talk to people who really aren't worth my time.
Zailen

Post by Zailen »

I know what you mean. I just got written notice from my coworkers, and managers that after three years of working there, they neither understand a word i say, or get me as a person. I think I might be alot more quieter over there for now on xD
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

ArcCain wrote:I did not like her arc because it had what I would call filler in it. But it did have some really good high notes too so it is not all bad.
Every route had filler...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

KeiichiO wrote:
Xanatos wrote:I used to use a pen and paper to talk. Easy to get used to, really.
I would actually do this a lot more often if I could. I don't particularly like talking to people or using the energy to talk to people who really aren't worth my time.
I know a guy who uses pen and paper to tweet. He writes on post-it notes, takes a picture of it, then tweets the link. :lol: Dedicated or very bored...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
prometheus

Post by prometheus »

For the deaf/mute people around here. Do you think it is really true, that signing forces you to think about what you say more than traditional talking?
It was a point (or maybe just a rationalisation of her behaviour) in Shizune's characterisation and i couldn't help but wonder if this is really true. It's not like most of my words splurge out of my mouth as soon as i think of saying them and a lot gets cut before i talk. How much does one think about signing, if you do it everyday?

OT:
I overall liked the Shizune arc very much. It wasn't focused as much on a singular issue like some of the others and it surely didn't follow classic dramaturgy rules as much. But it had lots of really good scenes and was able to make me care about the cast of the characters as a whole. Which is kind of fitting to the leader perspective of Shizune i think. It left me slightly more confused than other pathes, but i consider that a good thing.
Also how can anyone not fall for a girl, who uses the concept of a non-zero-sum-game to describe her student council (or any other) endeavors? ;)

Personal "favorite" moments were, when Shizune forcefully pulls Hisao out of his melancholy during the festival and the part and when Misha pushes her against the fence on the roof (reminescent of a certain bad ending) and says that it would be better, if she didn't exist. Those were pretty strong imho.
I also loved how the whole "you can't talk without your hands" aspect sneaked upon me during the reconstruction of the stalls and the first sex scene. It was just so alien to me that i kept forgetting it and being reminded the way those scenes did it, was very powerful and immersive : "Oh she cuffed the hands. I wonder what else she is into. Maybe they should agree on a safe word. Oh right..." (well something along those lines).
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

prometheus wrote:For the deaf/mute people around here. Do you think it is really true, that signing forces you to think about what you say more than traditional talking?
It was a point (or maybe just a rationalisation of her behaviour) in Shizune's characterisation and i couldn't help but wonder if this is really true. It's not like most of my words splurge out of my mouth as soon as i think of saying them and a lot gets cut before i talk. How much does one think about signing, if you do it everyday?

OT:
I overall liked the Shizune arc very much. It wasn't focused as much on a singular issue like some of the others and it surely didn't follow classic dramaturgy rules as much. But it had lots of really good scenes and was able to make me care about the cast of the characters as a whole. Which is kind of fitting to the leader perspective of Shizune i think. It left me slightly more confused than other pathes, but i consider that a good thing.
Also how can anyone not fall for a girl, who uses the concept of a non-zero-sum-game to describe her student council (or any other) endeavors? ;)

Personal "favorite" moments were, when Shizune forcefully pulls Hisao out of his melancholy during the festival and the part and when Misha pushes her against the fence on the roof (reminescent of a certain bad ending) and says that it would be better, if she didn't exist. Those were pretty strong imho.
I also loved how the whole "you can't talk without your hands" aspect sneaked upon me during the reconstruction of the stalls and the first sex scene. It was just so alien to me that i kept forgetting it and being reminded the way those scenes did it, was very powerful and immersive : "Oh she cuffed the hands. I wonder what else she is into. Maybe they should agree on a safe word. Oh right..." (well something along those lines).

Misha's safeword is "parfait".

Shizune's is "work".
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

Xanatos wrote:
ArcCain wrote:I did not like her arc because it had what I would call filler in it. But it did have some really good high notes too so it is not all bad.
Every route had filler...
Not to that extreme, almost all I can remember is the unimportant stuff. :(
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

prometheus wrote:For the deaf/mute people around here. Do you think it is really true, that signing forces you to think about what you say more than traditional talking?
Quite often, at the end of the day my mind is in 'ASL mode'. In an excited/stimulating conversation then the words just can come spilling out, and I've seen my teachers trip overthemselves and need to stop and catch themselves before starting again.

I'm inexperienced but I don't think it's that true - with increasing fluency it will be even more possible to babble out some proper crap without realizing :P
Zailen

Post by Zailen »

It's a bit off topic, but Metalangel...I read the epilogue linked in your sig, and I must say. I was very very impressed! I don't usually read those things...
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

metalangel wrote:
Quite often, at the end of the day my mind is in 'ASL mode'. In an excited/stimulating conversation then the words just can come spilling out, and I've seen my teachers trip overthemselves and need to stop and catch themselves before starting again.

I'm inexperienced but I don't think it's that true - with increasing fluency it will be even more possible to babble out some proper crap without realizing :P
The couple times I went to a sign cafe, I signed without thinking out what I wanted to sign, as if I was just talking. For an inexperienced signer you have to think about how you sign something, but generally a language is only a tool to enable communication, not how you communicate. I suspect that what Hisao was thinking is more related to Shizune's character: Much like speaking formally, she might thinking in advance what she's going to say, how to phrase it.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Well, early on we are only getting Misha's interpretation, and her role as interpreter is to convey the meaning and emotion of the message.

Later on, Hisao does that for our benefit (which is to say: presenting what he and Shizune are saying in grammatically correct English).

I have no doubt Shizune picks her words carefully but a lot of crucial information for signed communication is being left out here (with only Shizune's various poses providing some clue)
Last edited by metalangel on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

Yes, I was wondering about that. For example what the name signs for Misha, Shizune and Hisao would be.
prometheus

Post by prometheus »

Taking the chance of further presenting myself ignorant and derailing the thread, but i am curious ;):

Do regular sign users feel their gestures while thinking in words/talking in their head, just as voice based speakers may hear their words? How about while reading?

And: Sometimes (or rather more often than i'd like to admit) i talk to myself. It helps organising thoughts and getting some distance from your own point of view. How does that work in sign language or is that something that just very rarely/never happens? Or maybe use writing instead?
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

prometheus wrote:Taking the chance of further presenting myself ignorant and derailing the thread, but i am curious ;):

Do regular sign users feel their gestures while thinking in words/talking in their head, just as voice based speakers may hear their words? How about while reading?
A good question, and one covered in depth in here:
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6325

I mentioned my mind being in 'ASL mode' before, what you described is one of my symptoms :p
And: Sometimes (or rather more often than i'd like to admit) i talk to myself. It helps organising thoughts and getting some distance from your own point of view. How does that work in sign language or is that something that just very rarely/never happens? Or maybe use writing instead?
I absentmindedly sign to myself too. I figure it could help with learning.