The "feels" bazaar.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Xanatos

Re: What do you do to feel better after a night of the feels

Post by Xanatos »

Nothing. I just do things and hope it goes away. Sometimes it doesn't. My walks don't help anything anymore, just remind me how miserable and dull this place is...There are no roads out of town but the town itself isn't worth wandering in. So I just do whatever and hope it clicks.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Pseudogenesis

Re: The KS Community's Tips on Getting Rid Of Feels

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Helbereth wrote:
ShinigamiKenji wrote:
inquisitivenegro wrote:I'm pretty sure evolution is still a theory, like gravity, although both are widely accepted as fact they can't really be proven
I think it can be proven given a species that reproduces fast. Plants, some animals, even funghi or bacteria. Put them in an harsh environment and only the fittest will survive and reproduce. About gravity, it sure exists, but there's nothing at the moment that really explain its existence (I don't think Mutou's argument about it is that valid).
Indeed, the only proof we have for gravity is that things are affected by other things. You can prove the concept of gravity because if you jump, you fall back down. How that actually happens is the theoretical part. Exactly what that force is has yet to be fully explained.

The same really goes for evolution and the big bang theories. You can prove evolution in a microcosm, but short-term results don't necessarily indicate long-term affects. You can prove all the matter in the universe is slowly (well, technically quickly by human-size standards) moving away from a single point, but there's no real way to prove what actually happened to cause it to begin moving from that point. You can theorize, but you can't actually observe the events outside a laboratory experiment - thus it remains a theory. Whether or not you then choose to believe that theory is true or false is where faith enters the equation.

Apologies if this seems blunt, but I find it easier to organize if I use numbers.

1. Yes, evolution is a theory. In the same way that germ theory is a theory. But you probably wouldn't let somebody with Scarlet Fever cough in your face, unless they were really, really hot. Pun intended

A "Theory" in science isn't the same thing as a "theory" in everyday speech. Its current informal usage is closer to the definition of a hypothesis. A hypothesis is a conjecture made before any steps have been taken to create an experiment and document the results. A theory, on the other hand, is a tried-and-tested explanation that has been proven many different times in many different tests under many different conditions, and has not had a single shred of conclusive evidence held against it. If such a piece of evidence was found, the whole theory would either collapse or have to be altered to fit the facts. This is what makes scientific theories so powerful. They're a perfect explanation that has yet to be falsified. (And many attempts will be made, because that's the nature of science. Test and retest.) Evolution is a fact. Darwin's theory of evolution, on the other hand, proposes that evolution occurs mainly through Natural Selection. A theory isn't necessarily a fact, but it's about as close as you're gonna get.

2. Evolution can be proven, and it has been proven many times over. It's just the gradual genetic change of a species over time. Take for example the ongoing study documenting the evolution of a strain of E-Coli that has been going on since 1988. The original sample was of a certain strain of E-Coli that was separated into 12 identical colonies and left to breed in a variety of different imposed conditions. Since then, the initially identical populations have evolved rapidly and now represent extremely diverse strains. For instance, the ones that were placed in Citric Acid eventually gained the ability to thrive in citric acid and even to use it in their biological processes.

tl;dr the reason you have to renew your immunizations every decade or so is because the cocktail of deactivated virus carcasses they injected you with earlier are no longer effective because the strains of flu, cold or what have you have evolved to the point that your body doesn't recognize their genetic signature anymore.

3. If evolution exists in the short term, then it exists. Things like Evolution and Gravity are accepted by the scientific community as having a completely verifiable existence. The theories surrounding them propose how they work.

4. Science involves "faith" in the same way that I have faith that reality will continue to behave like it always does and that if I take a step, my foot won't suddenly sink into the maw of the gigantic, flowery dress-wearing purple tree frog that's suddenly decided to replace the earth.

tl;dr i think evolution is a pretty cool guy.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
kushiro

Re: The KS Community's Tips on Getting Rid Of Feels

Post by kushiro »

I drink. Simple. Effective. Sometimes.

Drinking only works (for me) for KS Feels. The Feels I get from my life are only amplified.
Weird Badger

Post by Weird Badger »

I can't see the stars, too many lights :(
ShinigamiKenji

Post by ShinigamiKenji »

Xanatos wrote:Nothing. I just do things and hope it goes away. Sometimes it doesn't. My walks don't help anything anymore, just remind me how miserable and dull this place is...There are no roads out of town but the town itself isn't worth wandering in. So I just do whatever and hope it clicks.
I used to do that, but the feels took about 4 days to subside. I should have gone and walked, but couldn't muster up energy. KS left me kinda drained after getting an ending. Music also left me worse, since I became a bit addicted to the soundtrack for 2 weeks. So I dragged on and on, and it eventually went away. Some exams helped distracting from those thoughts, but I wouldn't recommend it, unless you want lower grades.
Xanatos wrote:Shinigami...Kenji. Oh, you poor guy. You have my sympathies. :lol: But at least with you around, our supple Japanese women won't be raped by lesbians. :mrgreen: ...Actually, that'd be pretty hot

:lol:
Avatar made by OtakuNinja. Yeah, it would be pretty badass if it happened, don't you think?
kazenokize

Just finished the game and this is my first post. Oh man...

Post by kazenokize »

So...It's 5 am and I just finished the last route. I am not sure, but I think I took about 2 months to finish the game. I tried to linger the best I could and I am sure you guys relate :)
First, I will start with a big THANKS for creating this game. Really, thank you devs.

I don't really know what to say... Most of all, I think am posting this just to release all the "feels" I've accumulated inside me hahahaha!
It's funny because I played half of the game before I went to look for anything about it online (such as music/videos etc), afraid o spoilers. And I understood what you guys meant by the "feels" instantly.
I guess it's something you can't not understand if you play this game.
Anyways... I feel like I don't know what to do next. This game can really touch someone right? As if every time you finish a route you find a little about yourself a bit more. So well written and thought and everything else!
The closer I got to finishing katawa shoujo, the more I wanted to stop playing it. I started looking for other things to play, watch or read, dreading the final credits every time. But every time I played again, I immersed in it (obviously) and now it is finally over.
Guys, what do I do now?
This game found it's way inside me and now I am lost! I found an AMA (ask me anything) about katawa shoujo on reddit(Thanks for that aura), and one of the things I found most interesting was the statement
"Rather than get stuck on KS, figuring out why it caused such a reaction might be helpful." Well, I am working on that all right hahah, but still... I want so much more.

It was one of the best games I played, if not the best. No doubt.

Ha well... I am not really satisfied with this, my heart still hurts just like every time I finish reading a good story. But I feel better.
Aaaand that's it! The rumble story of just one more fan! Thanks for reading and I am eager to know what you guys think of it all!
Walshy12238

Re: Just finished the game and this is my first post. Oh man

Post by Walshy12238 »

kazenokize wrote:"Rather than get stuck on KS, figuring out why it caused such a reaction might be helpful."
That's the best thing you can do, my friend. I had the exact same reaction as almost everyone that has ever finished this game: what the hell do I do with myself now?
Personally I got into running, just like Hisao did with Emi. I've always played sports and been in good shape, but that extra bit of cardio training never goes amiss, and running whilst listening to the Katawa Shoujo OST is always a good release of stress after a hard day.

As well as just shaping and changing your lifestyle, maybe you've figured out what you really want/like/admire in a girl. Do you like the classiness of Lilly, the competitiveness of Shizune or even the innocence of Hanako? Don't by any means try to find an exact replica of your favourite girl, but realising what you really want in your significant other can be a very good thing, and save you some time in the dating department.

Best of luck with your, 'recovery'. Everyone's been there :)
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin
Bluecoolman

Katawa Shoujo Recovery

Post by Bluecoolman »

I'm newer to Katawa Shoujo (Forum and Game)
And, I'm hoping this forum can relate.
After going through both Hanakos and Emi's routes, I find myself feeling lonelier than before
Mostly due to the feeling of never actually meeting a them (or a girl like them for that matter)
I assume other players have had this phase as well, how does one get over these feelings?
Game Completion: 59%
Completed: Lilly Hanako Emi
Oddball

Re: Katawa Shoujo Recovery

Post by Oddball »

Bluecoolman wrote:I'm newer to Katawa Shoujo (Forum and Game)
And, I'm hoping this forum can relate.
After going through both Hanakos and Emi's routes, I find myself feeling lonelier than before
Mostly due to the feeling of never actually meeting a them (or a girl like them for that matter)
I assume other players have had this phase as well, how does one get over these feelings?
Time heals all wounds.

In the meantime, hang out, chat on the forum, read some fanfic, and look at the nice pictures other people have drawn.
Not Dead Yet
Bluecoolman

Post by Bluecoolman »

There's a chat?
I didn't see that on the front page.
Mind if I ask where it is?
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Well, there's an IRC, but I don't known if anybody actually uses it. I just meant post on the forums and talk with people that way.
Not Dead Yet
yummines

Post by yummines »

oh i know what you mean. i was fairly used to that feeling due to watching anime like School Rumble and Toradora! so basically all i can really say is to keep a stiff upper lip and not think about it too much.

besides that this forum has some really good people, especially for the internet. there's always Hanako's Broken Heart Club if theres anything really pressing in your life.
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

Use it to better yourself. You can't change the world, you can't change other people, but you can change yourself.

Don't wallow in the fact that you'll never meet a fictional character. That's not what KS is about. If you want to escape to a romantic life of bliss with the perfect person, read Twilight. Magic sparkle vampires are more appropriate for someone seeking perfection.

If you're looking to find someone who's right for you, make sure you'd be right for them. Figure out who you are, who you want to be, and how to get there. It won't be easy, you will fail multiple times, and you may never reach your goal. What matters is that you keep trying. If it's meant to be, you'll find someone, and Hanako and Emi will feel like pale imitations of the real thing. If not, there's more to life than a girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse/fuck-buddy. Love can come in many forms, and there's only really one where sex is involved. As long as you love and are loved, the sex doesn't matter all that much. It's a nice perk, but that's about it.

So get up, look at your life, and make something of it. It doesn't need to be extreme, and it doesn't need to be monumental. Start small, go gradual, but make a change. If you can't make a change, then you're perfect. And you're not perfect.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
Bluecoolman

Post by Bluecoolman »

ProfAllister wrote:Use it to better yourself. You can't change the world, you can't change other people, but you can change yourself.

Don't wallow in the fact that you'll never meet a fictional character. That's not what KS is about. If you want to escape to a romantic life of bliss with the perfect person, read Twilight. Magic sparkle vampires are more appropriate for someone seeking perfection.

If you're looking to find someone who's right for you, make sure you'd be right for them. Figure out who you are, who you want to be, and how to get there. It won't be easy, you will fail multiple times, and you may never reach your goal. What matters is that you keep trying. If it's meant to be, you'll find someone, and Hanako and Emi will feel like pale imitations of the real thing. If not, there's more to life than a girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse/fuck-buddy. Love can come in many forms, and there's only really one where sex is involved. As long as you love and are loved, the sex doesn't matter all that much. It's a nice perk, but that's about it.

So get up, look at your life, and make something of it. It doesn't need to be extreme, and it doesn't need to be monumental. Start small, go gradual, but make a change. If you can't make a change, then you're perfect. And you're not perfect.
This helped out a lot, thanks ^^
ShinigamiKenji

Re: Just finished the game and this is my first post. Oh man

Post by ShinigamiKenji »

Everyone in this forum has passed, or is passing, through it. For me, this emptiness had subsided in about 2 weeks. But to say it's gone is just plain wrong.

For me, I had to come here, and read many of the fanfics until I could really calm down a bit and think. I recommend seeing it if you feel the urge, some are so well-written you doubt it wasn't made by 4LS. Also, I started seeing other sections, and there's been really interesting people here, all with stories and damage of their own.

Just give it more time and thought, and you'll realize why it resonates so strongly within you. If it's bad, try to change it. If it's good, make sure you never forget the lesson. If needed, Hanako's Broken Heart Club is always there to listen, give advice, or at least try to cheer you up with some jokes. Don't be afraid by the number of posts, just reading some 5 pages before and keeping an eye for 1 or 2 days is enough to see what's been happening there, if you want to know.

Good luck, and looking forward for one more nice buddy around here! :mrgreen:
Xanatos wrote:Shinigami...Kenji. Oh, you poor guy. You have my sympathies. :lol: But at least with you around, our supple Japanese women won't be raped by lesbians. :mrgreen: ...Actually, that'd be pretty hot

:lol:
Avatar made by OtakuNinja. Yeah, it would be pretty badass if it happened, don't you think?