Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura »

AMerePerson wrote:How often dd the writers meed to discuss things like the general timeline of the story? I noticed that, for the most part, the timeline seemed consistent, but there were some discrepancies.
We never had any meetings with the entire writing staff - time zones made scheduling practically impossibile. Instead the development discussion was rolling over on IRC and our dev forum so that whoever was present participated, and people waking up/logging on got updated on what had happened while they were sleeping or at work, school or whatever. Especially for the first couple of years this was more or less (mostly less) continuous around the clock, so I could answer both "never" and "almost every day" to your question.

The timeline and a few other things are inconsistent between the routes because we never felt the need to stress consistency there. Each of the routes is a sort of an alternate timeline no matter what, due to how KS was written.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

In Shizune's route, what is the complement she gives him the first time theyre in the cafe? The one Misha refuses to translate?
Hanako used to have no scaring... But that all changed when the fire nation attacked.
Rikabro

Post by Rikabro »

Silentcook wrote:but I can think of at least four more split between Lilly's and Hanako's paths
Willing to embellish a little? I want to hear about the katawas that never were. I promise not to write fanfiction about them.
Writer for Familiarity. I also have an anime blog.
Palas

Post by Palas »

I have a question to the dev team, but it's more specifically aimed at Nicol.

Air Guitar's piano arrangement sounds strangely... genuine. I mean, in the sense that this is how the tune was supposed to sound like from the very beginning. Air Guitar is probably my favourite KS song, but there's something about its... I don't know how to word this... flow? That sounds more suited to a piano than to an acoustic guitar. This sort of hybridness made it fresh and I appreciate it, but I'd like to know whether it was supposed to be a piano piece at first and, if so, why it got a guitar arrangement.
While we are here discussing, Hanako is somewhere hopping from dark to darker tiles. Alone.
voyance

Post by voyance »

These has probably been asked before and I'm not willing to sift through 200+ pages in this thread so I'll ask anyway.

1. Why did Shizune's writer decide to give only one choice? An extremely obvious one too.

2. Why did you guys decide to give Misha the pink-drills for her hair? She looks great without her pink hair.

3. For Lilly's route, why was she Scottish? The author could have easily chosen a different nationality.

4. Last one...why does Akira drive a Lancer Evo? Also, which one is it? I'm just curious.

EDIT: What was the Nurse's name?
Lol my questions are so trivial.
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Palas wrote:I have a question to the dev team, but it's more specifically aimed at Nicol.

Air Guitar's piano arrangement sounds strangely... genuine. I mean, in the sense that this is how the tune was supposed to sound like from the very beginning. Air Guitar is probably my favourite KS song, but there's something about its... I don't know how to word this... flow? That sounds more suited to a piano than to an acoustic guitar. This sort of hybridness made it fresh and I appreciate it, but I'd like to know whether it was supposed to be a piano piece at first and, if so, why it got a guitar arrangement.
It was written for guitar first. I didn't make that piano version until several years later.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

voyance wrote:These has probably been asked before and I'm not willing to sift through 200+ pages in this thread so I'll ask anyway.

1. Why did Shizune's writer decide to give only one choice? An extremely obvious one too.

2. Why did you guys decide to give Misha the pink-drills for her hair? She looks great without her pink hair.

3. For Lilly's route, why was she Scottish? The author could have easily chosen a different nationality.

4. Last one...why does Akira drive a Lancer Evo? Also, which one is it? I'm just curious.

EDIT: What was the Nurse's name?
Lol my questions are so trivial.
1. It's the coolest way to do branching narrative structure.
2. It's the coolest hairstyle
3. It's the coolest nationality
4. It's the coolest car

Looks like all our creative decisions are driven by the rule of cool. The point is, not every design decision can, or should be justified with some deep thought or grand ideas. Not everything is important. All of the questions you asked are examples (except the first, but I wanted to keep the pattern).

Nurse's name will never be revealed, it's too dangerous information to be released to the public.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

voyance wrote: EDIT: What was the Nurse's name?
To know the Nurse's name is to know the sound of the Grand Undoing, to know what an ant looks like to a god, to know the expression on her face when she heard you were dead, the last thought you'll ever have, a killing word, etc. etc.

You get the idea.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Aura wrote:Nurse's name will never be revealed, it's too dangerous information to be released to the public.
It's because his given name is Jigoro right? :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
komplein

Post by komplein »

Ok, I think I have a question that hasn't been asked before:

Who was the (apparently well-versed in Japanese) person that wrote Iwanako's letter? (or "wrote" if it's all CG... oh, and inb4 Iwanako)
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

komplein wrote:Ok, I think I have a question that hasn't been asked before:

Who was the (apparently well-versed in Japanese) person that wrote Iwanako's letter? (or "wrote" if it's all CG... oh, and inb4 Iwanako)
I did. If I remember right, I wrote it in English and had someone else translate it.
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

I have a feeling my question was missed by accident :P

What was the compliment Shizune signed the first time they go to the Shanghai? The one that Misha refuses to translate because it was too nice :)?
Hanako used to have no scaring... But that all changed when the fire nation attacked.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Bailey wrote:I have a feeling my question was missed by accident :P

What was the compliment Shizune signed the first time they go to the Shanghai? The one that Misha refuses to translate because it was too nice :)?
Super specific Shizune-related questions rarely get answered because 22 almost never answers anything here. I can't remember if there's an answer off the top of my head, can't even recall the line you're talking about.

So yeah, the compliment was about the massive and obvious erection Hisao was sporting.
Thanatos02

Post by Thanatos02 »

I've actually been curious about this for a long time, so I figured I'd go ahead and stick my neck out.
I've heard that Suriko had to continue Hanako's route after cpl_crud left the project. How exactly did that work out? Did you have an outline to work from, or is everything from the point you started at Suriko-original material? Also, did you edit or change anything that was already set in the story by the previous writer?
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

I might be a bit slow on this, but I just noticed that there was a 1.1 version. And the question I am about to ask might sound a bit stupid again. Would there be any chance of any additions to Katawa Shoujo OST in, say, some future versions? I mean, if the musical devs who worked on this project are still working on some new music, or if you had a new dev for OSTs-

well, whatever, you got the point. Is there any chance that future versions will include any extra BGM by any chance? Maybe even slightest?
Or will they only feature new translations and maybe little typo fixes here and there? Could they feature any other thing other than translations and typo fixes?