Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura »

TehLandshark wrote:
Aura wrote: 1. Does the work use anything concrete from KS itself (art, music, text etc)? We don't like it.
4. But what if...? Well then just ask.
Now let's say I make a flash game and said flash game includes a quote of a character from KS; Does said quote breach license technically? As long as this "quote" isn't ridiculously long, would you be cool with it?

And on a side note, thanks goes out to Aura, TheHiveMind, and cpl_crud for clarification on what you own and don't own.
From what I remember there are all sorts of nuances to the legality of quoting, explicitly or not. I really do not want to even try to appear as an authority, which is why I always say what we feel about the copyright/license issues rather than try to lay down facts. In fact I'd recommend you don't trust anyone short of an actual copyright lawyer about this stuff. Anyway, a short quote, whether explicitly sourced or not, wouldn't be an issue (compare to the guy a few posts above who literally lifted most of Hanako's route dialogue, and I still didn't care all that much even though I acknowledged it sucks for us and breaks the license)
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Merloficus

Post by Merloficus »

Hello everyone, new to the forums so sorry if i mess up in some strange way or another :P

I had a question for Nicol Armarfi: Not sure if you've ever spoken about this, want to keep it a secret or if it's simply visible for everyone to see and i somehow missed it :lol:
But, does your name have any reference to a certain character from the anime Gundam Seed? Reason i ask is because the name had a lot of emotional value for me and still does, relating to something out of the anime.
The first time i listened to Moment Of Decision and actualty saw your name under it brought me to tears... the fact that the very scene was the heartbreaking one with Emi and Hisao didn't realy help either :cry:

PS. Thanks for all the wonderful music you've brought to 4LS, this VN just wouldn't have been what it is today without it. Your pieces of music are amazing, they realy can define a scene. Don't want to forget Blue 123, very nice as well. But i can lose myself when i listen Nicol's pieces, they just fit so well/are so well composed. The only thing that saddens me is that not more people can enjoy them :D

Woops, turned out to be slightly longer than i anticipated :s Sorry :lol:

Regards,
Merloficus
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Merloficus wrote: I had a question for Nicol Armarfi: Not sure if you've ever spoken about this, want to keep it a secret or if it's simply visible for everyone to see and i somehow missed it :lol:
But, does your name have any reference to a certain character from the anime Gundam Seed?
lol, yeah. I caught most of the show while it was airing on TV but I can hardly remember it. I've been using this as my name online since I was 12 so it just stuck, though. I'll probably watch it again sometime anyway. Also you might be interested in this: :)
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

I was wondering, were the animated cutscenes created first and the music subequently composed to match the visuals, or was it the other way around?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Reksho wrote:I was wondering, were the animated cutscenes created first and the music subequently composed to match the visuals, or was it the other way around?
Animation first.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
StudyOfWumbology

Post by StudyOfWumbology »

How do you pronounce Misha?
Things happen. For the best or for the worst we do not know.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Like this. Pick "Japanese", and don't miss out on the rest of the links either.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Some Old Guy

Post by Some Old Guy »

I'm not too sure if this is the place to ask this (or if even if it's been asked already; sorry, I tried to read most of this thread, and failed spectacularly), but what books did the devs read during KS? Or maybe a personal fave? I grabbed some of Murakami's books due to crud name dropping him a few times, and really liked them (Norwegian Wood blew my mind, and I'm just about to finish A Wild Sheep Chase).

:oops: *Sighs* And yeah, KS got me reading again.

Thanks, for reminding me about books, making a great game, and possibly answering this question.
"I smelled Los Angeles before I got to it. It smelled stale and old like a living-room that had been closed too long. But the coloured lights fooled you. The lights were wonderful. There ought to be a monument to the man who invented neon lights. Fifteen stories high, solid marble. There's a boy who really made something out of nothing." -Raymond Chandler
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Oh dear. :shock:

When left to run amok in a bookstore I usually end up buying ten or so books, and if left alone to enjoy a lazy day I average crunching through three paperbacks.

So you see how answering your question would be a mite complex, considering the time span involved. I can say that there was a lot of cross-infecting throughout the making of KS, so it's a pretty good assumption that if a book was mentioned in KS, or if an author was mentioned in the 2010 "crucible" blog post, some attention was directed to it.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Some Old Guy wrote:I'm not too sure if this is the place to ask this (or if even if it's been asked already; sorry, I tried to read most of this thread, and failed spectacularly), but what books did the devs read during KS? Or maybe a personal fave? I grabbed some of Murakami's books due to crud name dropping him a few times, and really liked them (Norwegian Wood blew my mind, and I'm just about to finish A Wild Sheep Chase).

Thanks, for reminding me about books, making a great game, and possibly answering this question.
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, and The Prodigy by Hermann Hesse are two books that are personal favourites. I tend to read non-fiction far more than fiction though, extending to the books I read during KS's development. Guns, Germs and Steel, The Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire, A History of Florence 1200-1575, April Blood, Brunelleschi's Dome, and The Tigress of Forli are some I got through.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Some Old Guy wrote:I'm not too sure if this is the place to ask this (or if even if it's been asked already; sorry, I tried to read most of this thread, and failed spectacularly), but what books did the devs read during KS? Or maybe a personal fave? I grabbed some of Murakami's books due to crud name dropping him a few times, and really liked them (Norwegian Wood blew my mind, and I'm just about to finish A Wild Sheep Chase).

Oh damn this is an enormous question, but I'll hit the ones that shifted things around considerably:

Crying of Lot 49, V, Gravity's Rainbow, and Against the Day, all by Thomas Pynchon, got read at least twice during the course of development. I have very vivid memories of reading Against the Day and writing most of Emi's act four.

Danielewski's House of Leaves and Only Revolutions were also things I read during development, probably multiple times.

I read a bunch of other stuff, but those were the highlights.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Suriko wrote:

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, and The Prodigy by Hermann Hesse are two books that are personal favourites. I tend to read non-fiction far more than fiction though, extending to the books I read during KS's development. Guns, Germs and Steel, The Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire, A History of Florence 1200-1575, April Blood, Brunelleschi's Dome, and The Tigress of Forli are some I got through.
Sounds like Suriko might be well placed to answer my question: Does Hanako like reading non-fiction, especially history?
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

To the pathwriters of these girls:

What's Hanako/Lilly/Shizune/Rin's favorite season? :)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

A word about this kind of question and its variants:

Asking about likes/dislikes of fictional characters is more than a little silly. In most cases, we won't have thought of something specific or relevant to your question beforehand since it wasn't relevant to development, so you're essentially asking us to make shit up on the spot. You know what happens when we make shit up on the spot. :shock:

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Silentcook wrote:A word about this kind of question and its variants:

Asking about likes/dislikes of fictional characters is more than a little silly. In most cases, we won't have thought of something specific or relevant to your question beforehand since it wasn't relevant to development, so you're essentially asking us to make shit up on the spot. You know what happens when we make shit up on the spot. :shock:
What else is writing if not making shit up on the spot? But yeah, who knows. They all hate all seasons.